Connecting OpenJUMP 1.13 to PostgreSQL 10

Frederick Álvarez

Aug 21, 2018, 10:58:33 PM8/21/18
to openjump-users

I Installed PostgreSQL 10 on a CentOS 7 machine, then installed its GIS extension, created a database and enabled the spatial extension on it, all is working as expected, now I wanted to use OpenJUMP to visualize the data.

I downloaded OpenJUMP-Installer-1.13-r5792-CORE.jar from the OpenJUMP page, I have previously downloaded Java and set up the JAVA_HOME env variable.

I proceed to the installation by executing

sudo java -jar OpenJUMP-Installer-1.13-r5792-CORE.jar

It was installed under /opt/OpenJUMP finally I executed

/opt/OpenJUMP/bin/oj_linux.sh &

and it opened, then I tried to establish a connection with my PostgreSQL database, I chose

File->Run Datastore Quey->add->PostGIS

But it appears like this, I cannot enter the connection details on the boxes

I searched for possible causes but I cannot find something, in theory, it should work out of the box, I found that I might need to add the PostgreSQL JDBC driver but I'm not sure if this is true or how is it done.

Do I have to do something else to my PostgreSQL database to allow OpenJUMP connections?

Do I have to do a special configuration to OpenJUMP to enable those boxes?

Thank you in advance!

Michaël Michaud

Aug 22, 2018, 2:38:26 AM8/22/18
to openjump-users
Hi Frederick

This maybe a CentOS problem because I can't reproduce it on my Windows box. Generally, text fields shrink like this when the dialog is not large enough to display them entirely.

Try to increase slightly the dialog box dragging it with your mouse. It may be enough.
Otherwise, we can slightly decrease the default width of the text fields (currently = 20), but it is not easy to test for me as the bug does not happen on my machine.
Anybody else having this problem ?

Michaël

edgar....@web.de

Aug 22, 2018, 2:47:18 AM8/22/18
to openjum...@googlegroups.com, Michaël Michaud
Frederick,

in case it's not the issue described below, can you send a screenshot to visualize it? ..ede

On 8/22/2018 8:38, Michaël Michaud wrote:
> Hi Frederick
>
> This maybe a CentOS problem because I can't reproduce it on my Windows box. Generally, text fields shrink like this when the dialog is not large enough to display them entirely.
> See : https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3966616/why-does-a-jtextfield-shrink-in-size-to-0-when-passed-a-large-columns-number
>
> Try to increase slightly the dialog box dragging it with your mouse. It may be enough.
> Otherwise, we can slightly decrease the default width of the text fields (currently = 20), but it is not easy to test for me as the bug does not happen on my machine.
> Anybody else having this problem ?
>
> Michaël
>

> Le mercredi 22 août 2018 04:58:33 UTC+2, Frederick Álvarez a écrit :
>
> I Installed PostgreSQL 10 on a CentOS 7 machine, then installed its GIS extension, created a database and enabled the spatial extension on it, all is working as expected, now I wanted to use OpenJUMP to visualize the data.
>

> I downloaded |OpenJUMP-Installer-1.13-r5792-CORE.jar| from the OpenJUMP page, I have previously downloaded Java and set up the JAVA_HOME env variable.
>

> I proceed to the installation by executing
>

> |sudo java -jar OpenJUMP-Installer-1.13-r5792-CORE.jar |
>

> It was installed under |/opt/OpenJUMP| finally I executed
>

> |/opt/OpenJUMP/bin/oj_linux.sh & |
>

> and it opened, then I tried to establish a connection with my PostgreSQL database, I chose
>

> |File->Run Datastore Quey->add->PostGIS|
>

> But it appears like this, I cannot enter the connection details on the boxes
>

> I searched for possible causes but I cannot find something, in theory, it should work out of the box, I found that I might need to add the PostgreSQL JDBC driver but I'm not sure if this is true or how is it done.
>

> *Do I have to do something else to my PostgreSQL database to allow OpenJUMP connections?*
>
> *Do I have to do a special configuration to OpenJUMP to enable those boxes?*
>
> *
> *
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> *
> *
>
> --
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups openjump-users group. To post to this group, send email to openjum...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to openjump-user...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/openjump-users?hl=en
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "openjump-users" group.

Jukka Rahkonen

Aug 22, 2018, 4:09:43 AM8/22/18
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
Hi Frederic,

Which Java version do you have? I am remembering that I have seen
something similar with Java 9.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Frederick Álvarez

Aug 22, 2018, 8:45:59 AM8/22/18
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

that was exactly what was happening, the j text fields were shrunk to 0, it was matter of resize the dialog box and everything worked.

Thank you so much for the help

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups openjump-users group. To post to this group, send email to openjum...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to openjump-user...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/openjump-users?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "openjump-users" group.

Frederick Álvarez

Aug 22, 2018, 8:50:27 AM8/22/18
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
Hi Edgar,

the problem was fixed, it was matter of resize the dialog box, not sure why it never occurred to me

thank you for the help
Frederick

Frederick Álvarez

Aug 22, 2018, 8:53:27 AM8/22/18