Windows Uninstaller (for v 1.14.1) not working..

Rich

Jun 20, 2019, 5:30:19 PM6/20/19
to openjump-users
Hi,

I' need to uninstall the latest version of OpenJump ( v 1.14.1 release rev. 6147) which has been installed in the 'C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenJUMP' folder.  I've located the jar file to perform this, but when this runs the unintsall sequence fails to complete and a Windows system registry dialog box appears reporting 'system error no 5' and 'system error text is: Access denied' - see attached.  When I close this dialog box the OpenJump software is still on the PC.  Can anybody advise how it can be uninstalled?

openjumperror.png

edgar....@web.de

Jun 21, 2019, 6:13:18 AM6/21/19
to openjum...@googlegroups.com, Rich
which windows version are we talking about? ..ede/OJteam
> --
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups openjump-users group. To post to this group, send email to openjum...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to openjump-user...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/openjump-users?hl=en
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "openjump-users" group.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openjump-users/2896db83-535f-48bb-b9a8-f8f779744ffc%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openjump-users/2896db83-535f-48bb-b9a8-f8f779744ffc%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Rich

Jun 26, 2019, 9:12:45 AM6/26/19
to openjump-users

Its installed on a machine running Windows 10 (Pro) version 1809..

edgar....@web.de

Jun 26, 2019, 9:28:00 AM6/26/19
to openjum...@googlegroups.com, Rich
there should be an entry in 'Settings->Apps & features' which will allow you to uninstall OJ

manually you can open a terminal as Administrator and run the (use proper path)
"C:\<Path to>\bin\oj_windows.bat" --uninstall

note the Admin privileges!

..ede
> --
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups openjump-users group. To post to this group, send email to openjum...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to openjump-user...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/openjump-users?hl=en
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "openjump-users" group.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openjump-users/c9b5c4ca-275d-4d79-927c-5c947c509487%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openjump-users/c9b5c4ca-275d-4d79-927c-5c947c509487%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jukka Rahkonen

Jun 26, 2019, 9:49:06 AM6/26/19
to openjum...@googlegroups.com, Rich
I had a try as well and installed OpenJUMP with the installer into
C:\Program Files(x86)\OpenJUMP. I had to do that with admin rights. I
tested that OpenJUMP started, then I closed it and removed OpenJUMP
through the Windows Start menu. I had to use admin rights again. As you
notice, I did not read close enough what you did with the jar file.

As a result the directory C:\Program Files(x86)\OpenJUMP still exists,
but it is empty. OpenJUMP is removed from the Start menu but when I open
the control panel it is still listed as an installed program. There
seems to be no way to remove that from the list. I removed the directory
manually, once again with admin rights and all I have left is the
phantom program in the list of installed programs in the control panel.

I guess that you have tried to launch the jar file as a normal user but
for fiddling with the "program files" admin rights are needed. Please
try to use the unsinstaller from the Start menu is you have it there.
Otherwise just delete the directory and possible shortcuts. You may
still have some rubbish in the Windows registry but they should not make
much harm.

I found a suspicious key from the Windows registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UFH\ARP
with value
Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
OpenJUMP 1.14.1 rev.6147 CORE
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenJUMP\bin\oj_windows.bat --uninstall

For some reason I could not remove that key with regedit.

-Jukka Rahkonen-
> --
> Groups "openjump-users" group.
> an email to openjump-user...@googlegroups.com.
> [1].
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openjump-users/c9b5c4ca-275d-4d79-927c-5c947c509487%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

edgar....@web.de

Jun 26, 2019, 10:06:41 AM6/26/19
On 26.06.2019 15:49, Jukka Rahkonen wrote:
> I had a try as well and installed OpenJUMP with the installer into C:\Program Files(x86)\OpenJUMP. I had to do that with admin rights. I tested that OpenJUMP started, then I closed it and removed OpenJUMP through the Windows Start menu. I had to use admin rights again. As you notice, I did not read close enough what you did with the jar file.

the menu entry under Start should point explicitely to the Control panel for installed Programs in windows to uninstall. doesn't it for you?

> As a result the directory C:\Program Files(x86)\OpenJUMP still exists, but it is empty.

never found a solution for that, but figured it to be no harm as the program is uninstalled completely already.

>OpenJUMP is removed from the Start menu but when I open the control panel it is still listed as an installed program.

running the uninstaller as admin removes the entry in 'Apps & features' for me properly

if it is still there, but the program is uninstalled already, Windows usually offers to remove the entry if the uninstaller cannot be found anymore.

>There seems to be no way to remove that from the list. I removed the directory manually, once again with admin rights and all I have left is the phantom program in the list of installed programs in the control panel.
>
> I guess that you have tried to launch the jar file as a normal user but for fiddling with the "program files" admin rights are needed. Please try to use the unsinstaller from the Start menu is you have it there. Otherwise just delete the directory and possible shortcuts. You may still have some rubbish in the Windows registry but they should not make much harm.
>
> I found a suspicious key from the Windows registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UFH\ARP with value
> Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
> OpenJUMP 1.14.1 rev.6147 CORE
> C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenJUMP\bin\oj_windows.bat --uninstall
>
> For some reason I could not remove that key with regedit.

simply run 'regedit' as Administrator (enter search field 'regedit', right click on the found result, 'run as Admin' ) and you should be able to remove the entry mentioned above. as always be careful when editing the registry, best make a snapshot first.

..ede

Jukka Rahkonen

Jun 26, 2019, 10:06:41 AM6/26/19
to openjum...@googlegroups.com, Rich
Naturally I had to run also regedit as admin. Manually killing a few
remaining OpenJUMP related keys removed all tracks of OpenJUMP from my
system.

It seems that the uninstaller does not work perfectly at the moment. I
wonder who needs installer/uninstaller because unzipping OpenJUMP into
some folder works so fine but perhaps there is some benefit in letting
the installer to write something into the registry.

-Jukka-

edgar....@web.de

Jun 26, 2019, 10:15:22 AM6/26/19
to openjum...@googlegroups.com, Jukka Rahkonen, Rich
On 26.06.2019 16:06, Jukka Rahkonen wrote:
> It seems that the uninstaller does not work perfectly at the moment. I wonder who needs installer/uninstaller because unzipping OpenJUMP into some folder works so fine but perhaps there is some benefit in letting the installer to write something into the registry.

as i said. works for me :).. still one thing though, no Start menu entry is created to run OJ actually on my test windows 10.

will investigate.. ede