A kind of "mapping" between Kakadu and OpenJpeg "compression rate" options

Cyril MASSET

Oct 5, 2022, 10:10:38 AM10/5/22
to OpenJPEG
Hi,

I'm currently interested in working with OpenJpeg in replacement of Kakadu, and I wanted to know if there a way to imagine a mapping between the "-rate" Kakadu parameter and the "-r" OpenJpeg parameter.

The documentation about the Kakadu parameter is quite complicated because it's directly linked to the complex compression algorithm. On the other side, the OpenJpeg documentation about its "-r" parameter is quite unclear ("20 means 20 times compressed").

The real question for me is : what do we lose when you increase the OpenJpeg "-r" parameter ? The ratio quality/filesize seems to remain excellent, and it's quite disturbing :D

Thank you very much !
CM