On applying for Author at the JDK Project

Jules W.

Feb 27, 2022, 2:39:39 AM2/27/22
to dis...@openjdk.java.net
Hi all,

Currently I'm thinking of applying for the Author position at the JDK
project, but the OpenJDK Project page (https://openjdk.java.net/projects/) is
somewhat vague about how to do so, simply saying to contact the project
lead after 2 pull requests have been merged without offering a proper
communication channel to do so. Additionally some of the information on the
site also seems to be outdated, and I'm unsure of whether this outdated
information also includes the section describing the Author application
process. Currently the census lists Mr. Reinhold as the project lead for
the JDK, is there an unmentioned formal communication channel I can use to
apply for Author or should I contact Mr. Reinhold directly as per the
page's instructions? (And if I should do the latter, do I contact him
directly through his Oracle email address?)

Thanks for your patience.

best regards,
Julian

Volker Simonis

Feb 27, 2022, 5:44:05 AM2/27/22
to Jules W., dis...@openjdk.java.net
Hi Julian,

Yes, just contact Mark Reinhold by email with links to your two
contributions.

Best regards,
Volker

PS: plan to wait up to two weeks until your request gets processed.

Jules W.

Feb 27, 2022, 7:25:51 AM2/27/22
to Volker Simonis, dis...@openjdk.java.net
Hi Volker,

Got it, thanks for the reply and have a great day!

regards,
Julian Waters

On Sun, Feb 27, 2022 at 6:43 PM Volker Simonis <volker....@gmail.com>

Jesper Wilhelmsson

Jun 3, 2022, 5:21:58 AM6/3/22
to Jules W., dis...@openjdk.java.net
Hi Julian,

After having read your mail I put a note on my todo-list to update the Developers' Guide to better clarify the details around becoming an author. That has finally been done and is now online: https://openjdk.java.net/guide/#becoming-an-author

If you have the time to have a look I would very much like to know if this description is now sufficient to have answered your question.

Thanks,
/Jesper