Why is userSuppliedString required?

Daniel Burrell

Nov 3, 2013, 1:38:02 PM11/3/13
to openi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am trying to allow users to authenticate to me via an openId service.

The service doesn't require a userSuppliedString, since username + password is entered on the openId site, and the response contains a claimedId which is what we use to determine who the user is.

Is there a way to use this library under such conditions? If so could somebody provide an example of what should be use instead of List discoveries = manager.discover(userSuppliedString);

Johnny Bufu

Nov 3, 2013, 2:56:37 PM11/3/13
to openi...@googlegroups.com
The user supplied identifier is required by the library for the
initiation of the OpenID Protocol. But it doesn't have to be a claimed
identifier - it can be an OpenID Provider Identifier.

You (the RP) still need to determine which OpenID Provider will be used
for each user login. You can have OP identifiers hardcoded into a short
list of supported/preferred providers, and show them on your login page
in the form of a few buttons 'login with X' - which the user will only
have to click on.

For the underlying protocol mechanics that allow this see the definition
of the user supplied identifier and references to "OP Identifier"

http://openid.net/specs/openid-authentication-2_0.html#terminology

Johnny
> Listdiscoveries =manager.discover(*userSuppliedString*);

Shengche Hsiao

Nov 3, 2013, 7:43:41 PM11/3/13
to openi...@googlegroups.com
Hello

Use an image link to set default(static) openid url such as "http://my.openid.net", and assign this string to userSuppliedString.

We do this not because it is easy. We do this because it is hard.
ShengChe Hsiao
fron...@gmail.com
fron...@tc.edu.tw
VoIP : 070-910-2450