[OpenID] Facebook & OpenID Connect

Raymond Drew Walker

Jun 21, 2016, 3:18:04 PM6/21/16
to openid-...@lists.openid.net

Does Facebook actually support/implement OpenID Connect at this time or if they are still just a supporter of the OpenID Connect project.

If the latter, what does the community trend seem to be for those who make use of OpenID Connect (via Google, etc) but also wish to make use of Facebook social logins as well. (ie. separate client implementation/support for OpenID Connect, Facebook Connect, Oauth2.0, etc. or something that ties everything together such as Google Firebase, etc?

Thanks much in advance,

—

Raymond Walker
Software Systems Engineer StSp.
ITS Northern Arizona University

Adam Dawes

Jun 21, 2016, 3:33:49 PM6/21/16
to Raymond Drew Walker, openid-...@lists.openid.net
On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 12:17 PM, Raymond Drew Walker <Ray.W...@nau.edu> wrote:

Does Facebook actually support/implement OpenID Connect at this time or if they are still just a supporter of the OpenID Connect project.

Facebook does not support OpenID Connect and I haven't seen much activity from them in the community. But you would obviously need to hear from them what their plans are for support of the standard. But given their existing reach across the ecosystem, I think it would probably be a net negative for them to try to migrate those apps to a new protocol for little developer benefit (it's work and they are left in the same place as before- with Facebook sign in).

If the latter, what does the community trend seem to be for those who make use of OpenID Connect (via Google, etc) but also wish to make use of Facebook social logins as well. (ie. separate client implementation/support for OpenID Connect, Facebook Connect, Oauth2.0, etc. or something that ties everything together such as Google Firebase, etc?

As far as the rest of the ecosystem goes, US IDPs seem to be moving strongly toward OIDC. Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Yahoo, AOL have either already launched support or are in the process of doing so. Internationally, I've mostly seen OAuth2 based implementations but hopefully we will see more traction for OIDC. For enterprises, solutions like Azure Active Directory, Google for Work, Ping Identity, Okta, etc, have already launched OIDC IDP support.

If you want to do hybrid of OIDC and OAuth2/Facebook etc, I'd strongly recommend an IDaaS offering like Auth0, Firebase, Ping, Okta, etc. There's low value in implementing and managing this yourself.

Thanks much in advance,

—

Adam Dawes | Sr. Product Manager | ada...@google.com | +1 650-214-2410