Current status of Net::OpenID::Consumer and Net::OpenID::Server

Robert Norris

Oct 13, 2010, 7:18:53 PM10/13/10
to openi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We're making plans to add OpenID support to our Perl application server, both as an OP and an RP. I see that N::O::Consumer hasn't had an update for a couple of years and there's an unauthorised release on CPAN with a later version number. I've also seen references to various bugs and shortcomings in places.

None of this particularly bothers me - I'm happy to fix bugs and submit patches as I go. What I want to know is are these packages the best place for me to start with OpenID in Perl, and are they being maintained and patches/bugs responded to etc. If not it may be something I'd be willing to pick up depending on how things go with our implementation.

Thanks,
Rob.

Martin Atkins

Oct 14, 2010, 2:37:24 PM10/14/10
to openi...@googlegroups.com

I've not really had time to keep working actively on these libraries
recently. If there's a fork somewhere with good changes then I'd love to
hand the reigns over to someone else who can keep this thing better
maintained.

The version control situation for this project is also kinda confused
right now.

It would be nice also to convert the openid svn repository hosted on
code.sixapart.com into three git repos (one for each of
Net::OpenID::Consumer, ::Server and ::Common) and put them on github so
it's easier to collaborate. That code.sixapart.com server is kinda
deprecated at this point.

I actually already made a repo over on github a while back but just
converted the whole svn repo as one git repo. There are only three
commits in there that aren't in the svn repo, so it ought to be pretty
easy to re-apply them.

Robert Norris

Oct 15, 2010, 7:23:37 AM10/15/10
to openi...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 5:37 AM, Martin Atkins <ma...@degeneration.co.uk> wrote:
I've not really had time to keep working actively on these libraries recently. If there's a fork somewhere with good changes then I'd love to hand the reigns over to someone else who can keep this thing better maintained.

The version control situation for this project is also kinda confused right now.

It would be nice also to convert the openid svn repository hosted on code.sixapart.com into three git repos (one for each of Net::OpenID::Consumer, ::Server and ::Common) and put them on github so it's easier to collaborate. That code.sixapart.com server is kinda deprecated at this point.

I actually already made a repo over on github a while back but just converted the whole svn repo as one git repo. There are only three commits in there that aren't in the svn repo, so it ought to be pretty easy to re-apply them.

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking at the very least I should be able to get the code into github and get the changes from your older git repo, from the 1.06 version on CPAN and from the bug tracker merged. I don't know if I'd be able to take on maintainership duties full time (assuming you'd want me!); that will largely depend on the time I can spare and how much of the codebase I end up learning. But even if I don't perhaps I can get things into a state for someone else to pick up. I shall try!

For the moment I've imported the svn repository into these github repositories:

If anyone wants commit bits or has pull requests, give me a yell.

Cheers,
Rob.

Martin Atkins

Oct 15, 2010, 6:14:53 PM10/15/10
to openi...@googlegroups.com
On 10/15/2010 03:08 PM, Robert Norris wrote:
> Hi Mart,

> I actually already made a repo over on github a while back but just
> converted the whole svn repo as one git repo. There are only three
> commits in there that aren't in the svn repo, so it ought to be
> pretty easy to re-apply them.
>

> Where is this repository? I searched around github a bit but I couldn't
> find one that looked like it might be yours.

Sorry. I meant to link to it but forgot by the time I was done writing
my message.

http://github.com/apparentlymart/libnet-openid-perl

The original Six Apart repo is here, by the way:

http://code.sixapart.com/svn/openid/