Re: [openhr20-development] Windoze guy have a few questions

Tomas Kopal

Dec 20, 2019, 9:37:18 AM12/20/19
to openhr20-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am not using windows for OpenHR development, so I may be completely off, but in a nutshell:
You need WinAVR (https://sourceforge.net/projects/winavr/), which is a windows version of avr gcc. It should contain also make, so you should be able to compile using provided makefiles. You can take a look at the build shell scripts provided for possible parameters, or even install windows bash scripting (e.g. via cygwin) and run it directly.. E.g. OpenHR20/compile_hr20.sh might be helpful.

If you don't need radio, the you should specify RFM=0 as make parameter. You should also enable serial by defining COM_RS232 (again, as a make parameter, or you can specify it in OpenHR20/config.h, along with RS232 parameters, e.g. baud rate).

To use window contact, specify HW_WINDOW_DETECTION=1. It expect contact to be connected by wire to the connector on HR20.

Sorry, no GUI, feel free to create one ;-). Or, you can try AtmelStudio from Microchip, that's IDE with GUI, but I have no idea if the sources will work with the studio, it would be probably a challenge to get it working there...

Regards
Tomas

On 20/12/2019 12:48, Bo Herrmannsen wrote:
Hi

I had a stack of conrad valveheads but on the raspberry pi forum i was pointed to that the HR20 might be a better pick since it has a connector for serial comms

since yesterday i have been trying to figure out this

1) how to compile in windows, was hoping for a gui based tool that could also upload/flash
2) are there examples on how to transmit over serial line? i just need to send target temp and get temp messure by the hr20
2a) can a window contact be fitted and what happens when i open the window? will it stop heating?

i was also pointed to this post: https://embdev.net/topic/118781?page=2#2987345

but i would still need to figure out how to compile and how to command the HR20 over serial, as this post https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=259794&p=1583239#p1583180 says there are 2 versions the org and the one in the zip, the org uses a radio module and the poster on the pi forum is right that i want his version that uses the build in serial port

so things are narrowed down much, now i just need to figure out how to compile and will try avrfreaks next,

but if any windows people is here let me know

signature.asc

Bo Herrmannsen

Dec 20, 2019, 9:43:58 AM12/20/19
to OpenHR20 Development
i'm thinking about using another raspberry pi to do the job since i saw linux based guides (just need to find them again)

and then the programmer, i think this one would do fine: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Altera-Mini-Usb-Blaster-Cable-For-CPLD-FPGA-NIOS-JTAG-Altera-Programmer-OD/264447616203?hash=item3d924e64cb:g:jLcAAOSwmLlX3WK2

and i just created an "issue" on github, so might look like double posting, but just confused as hell since there (seen from my eyes) are so little info and its spread all over the internet

Bo Herrmannsen

Dec 20, 2019, 9:59:28 AM12/20/19
to OpenHR20 Development
so the make command should be:

make HW_WINDOW_DETECTION=1 RFM=0

?

https://github.com/OpenHR20/OpenHR20/blob/master/rfmsrc/readme.txt

mentions thermotronic HW, what is that?

Bo Herrmannsen

Dec 20, 2019, 10:03:10 AM12/20/19
to OpenHR20 Development
and //#define COM_RS232 1 i just change to #define COM_RS232 1 i'm ok with the standard 9600 baud assuming i got the above right will the make command output a hexfile for flashing?

Bo Herrmannsen

Dec 20, 2019, 10:07:33 AM12/20/19
to OpenHR20 Development
starting to learn a bit

looked at the make file and from what i see it will output files to the bin folder, i assume that is where the file to flash goes

Tomas Kopal

Dec 20, 2019, 10:12:52 AM12/20/19
On 20/12/2019 15:59, Bo Herrmannsen wrote:
so the make command should be:

make HW_WINDOW_DETECTION=1 RFM=0

?

Yes, that looks ok. As long as you enable the RS_232 in config.h :-).

Thermotronic is probably the oldest of the regulators supported by this project: https://www.mikrocontroller.net/attachment/346173/B_1a.JPG.

Tomas

signature.asc

Tomas Kopal

Dec 20, 2019, 10:15:36 AM12/20/19
On 20/12/2019 16:07, Bo Herrmannsen wrote:
starting to learn a bit

looked at the make file and from what i see it will output files to the bin folder, i assume that is where the file to flash goes

Correct. Should be named after the target. There is also "make program" target for flashing, but check the settings in the makefile first (fuses, programmer type etc.)

Tomas

signature.asc

Bo Herrmannsen

Dec 20, 2019, 11:08:35 AM12/20/19
to OpenHR20 Development
i did try and run make HW_WINDOW_DETECTION=1 RFM=0 no new files in OpenHR20/rfmsrc/bin/ but i got a .bin and .elf in OpenHR20/rfmsrc/OpenHR20 folder did i do something wrong? output from the compile: https://pastebin.com/Ag4FQ8ME

is the compile_hr20.sh script a better choice? but i guess i have to change something in there to make it compile without rfm but with window sensor

Tomas Kopal

Dec 20, 2019, 11:49:59 AM12/20/19
On 20/12/2019 17:08, Bo Herrmannsen wrote:
i did try and run make HW_WINDOW_DETECTION=1 RFM=0 no new files in OpenHR20/rfmsrc/bin/ but i got a .bin and .elf in OpenHR20/rfmsrc/OpenHR20 folder did i do something wrong?

Depends, where you run the command :-). If in top level dir (OpenHR20/rfmsrc), the result should go to bin. In your case, I would use this folder and call "make HR20_original_hww" which should match your configuration. Result is in bin/HR20_original_hww.

Compiling within the OpenHR20 folder is also supported, but meant more for development compilation, so the results are left there as well (but the binary should be the same)

output from the compile: https://pastebin.com/Ag4FQ8ME

is the compile_hr20.sh script a better choice? but i guess i have to change something in there to make it compile without rfm but with window sensor

compile_hr20.sh script is a recent addition, should work as well, but I don't have personally much experience with it. Looking at it now, I think for radio-less build, you would have to modify it a bit...

Tomas

signature.asc

Bo Herrmannsen

Dec 20, 2019, 12:00:28 PM12/20/19
to OpenHR20 Development
did the command in OpenHR20/rfmsrc/OpenHR20 so that might be my mistake, will retry in OpenHR20/rfmsrc tomorrow