Big Debate on Public Access to CRS Reports in House Approps Yesterday

Daniel Schuman

May 17, 2016, 11:00:38 PM5/17/16
to openhous...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

This was a big debate yesterday (well, earlier today) on public access to CRS reports before the full House appropriations committee. The measure (well, two measures) were defeated, but it was interesting to watch the arguments against. Those who spoke against the legislation kept getting their facts wrong or misunderstanding the legislation, even when it was spelled out in clear terms.

Notable was that Democrats and Republicans supported the effort to make the non-confidential reports equally available to everyone, not just the lobbyists and special interests and wealthy who can afford access.

I've put together a blogpost summarizing the issues and arguments. We will continue to fight for equal access to the reports. Happy to address any questions or concerns.

There were a few good pro-transparency members who didn't support the effort, but I suspect some of it may have to do with our inability to reach out to everyone.

Daniel

Daniel Schuman
Demand Progress | Policy Director