Errors in building openHIM Core

Sorcerer Stone

Feb 4, 2016, 12:25:05 PM2/4/16
to OpenHIM-Implementers
Hello Everyone,
I came across openHIM recently and had a lots of problems getting the project built. Following Ryan's advise, I switched from nodejsV5.x to V4.x and I googled for weeks in various forums to fix massive errors generated when installing openHIM but those problems are related to nodejs running in Windows (e.g. issues with node-gyp). I have uninstalled all components required by openHIM and rebuilt. I also installed MIT Kerberos as Windows does not come with this library. Instead of hundreds of errors, I am down to 20+ errors but I think these errors are all related.

The first error when installing openHIM on my Win64bit OS is:

C:\Users\fortuna\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\openhim-core\node_modules\mongoose\node_modules\mongodb\node_modules\mongodb-core\node_modules\kerberos>if not defined npm_config_node_gyp (node "C:\MyDevelopments\nodejs\node_modules\npm\bin\node-gyp-bin\\..\. else (node node C:\Users\fortuna\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\bin\node-gyp.js rebuild )
module.js:328
    throw err;
    ^

Error: Cannot find module 'C:\Users\fortuna\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\openhim-core\node_modules\mongoose\node_modules\mongodb\node_modules\mongodb-core\node_modules\kerberos\node'
    at Function.Module._resolveFilename (module.js:326:15)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:277:25)
    at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:442:10)
    at startup (node.js:136:18)
    at node.js:966:3

I attached a screenshot. There is indeed no node folder under the subfolder of kerberos. Since this kerberos subfolder was created under multiple subfolder layers of "..AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\openhim-core\node_modules", it seemed to me that missing node folder was supposed to be created by openHIM.

Q1/ Can someone please advise how do I fix this issue of missing subfolder?
Q2/ I have attached the dos output of running the openHIM install ("Errors-12.txt"). Base on the output, did openHIM core compile successfully?

Thanks in advance.
Looking forward for feedbacks.

PS. I am a windows user. I am not familiar with Linux OS at all. So maybe my questions are really dumb!

kerberos_error.jpg
Errors-12.txt

Ryan Crichton

Feb 5, 2016, 7:23:08 AM2/5/16
to Sorcerer Stone, OpenHIM-Implementers, Clive Seebregts
Hi,

It looks like the kerberos module isn't being built correctly on Windows. However, I'm not sure if this is actually a problem. I believe the module that requires it is able to continue without it. It does seem that the OpenHIM gets installed by the end of your log file.

Have you tried to run the OpenHIM after the installation. It is possible that it may work even in the face of these errors as the module fallback to using non-native modules. Let me know if it fails to run.

Unfortunately we don't have any control of how the kerberos module installs itself as that is a 3rd party dependency.

I've also cc'd Clive who has installed the OpenHIM on windows before. He may have some additional pointers for you.

Cheers,
Ryan

Ryan Crichton
Lead Developer, Jembi Health Systems  SOUTH AFRICA
Mobile: +27845829934 | Skype: ryan.graham.crichton
E-mail: ry...@jembi.org