Memorial Hackathons for Aaron Swartz

Ryan McGreal, Raise the Hammer

Jan 15, 2013, 6:41:32 AM1/15/13
to openha...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Something to consider for Hamilton, perhaps?

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/science-liberation-front/PReQS-93WbA

Background on Aaron if you haven't heard of him:

http://raisethehammer.org/blog/2634/

Kind Regards,
Ryan McGreal

James Arlen

Jan 15, 2013, 5:22:28 PM1/15/13
to openha...@googlegroups.com
It's been suggested (on the hackerspace mailing list) that these projects should be aimed at opening up otherwise closed data in the manner that Aaron did with PACER and JSTOR.

Any data we could 'liberate' from lousy formats?

Matt Grande

Jan 16, 2013, 8:07:38 AM1/16/13
to openha...@googlegroups.com
Something I'd love to see is a "Who voted for what" tracker for City Council... I don't even know if the City keeps track of that information in any format, though, let alone a readable one.

Still, I'm more than willing to pour through PDFs copy&pasting (or transcribing if necessary) to get the data... assuming it's out there, somewhere.

Scott Elcomb

Jan 16, 2013, 12:13:44 PM1/16/13
to openha...@googlegroups.com
Agree - a municipal version of How'd They Vote? would be useful.

Very unfortunate that the original HTV? was shutdown
<http://daninottawa.com/2012/09/13/howd-they-vote-sadly-no-more/>

--
Scott Elcomb
@psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca / Github & more

Atomic OS: Self Contained Microsystems
http://code.google.com/p/atomos/

Member of the Pirate Party of Canada
http://www.pirateparty.ca/

Joey Coleman

Jan 23, 2013, 11:56:20 AM1/23/13
to OpenHamilton
Greetings, apologies I'm just getting to this email now.

The City of Hamilton does not track votes nor do they keep records. Clearly, there is a need to create an app for people to review/watch video of meetings that I provide and input voting records.

Maybe a good idea for Feb 23rd's Open Data Day?

Joey