WardRep.ca

James McKinney

Feb 12, 2013, 9:18:37 PM2/12/13
to openha...@googlegroups.com, Nik Garkusha
It looks like there hasn't been any work done on WardRep.ca since last year. http://represent.opennorth.ca has the official ward boundaries of the four municipalities supported by WardRep, and it has representatives updated automatically once a week for London and Hamilton.

Is there any plan for WardRep's future, or does it make sense to merge/redirect to Represent?

--
James McKinney
http://opennorth.ca/

NikG

Feb 13, 2013, 11:57:52 AM2/13/13
to OpenHamilton
hi James,

Represent is awesome, I really like what you've done.
Can you share how you got the official Ward Boundaries for Milton,ON? How are reprsentatives for Milton updated?
I'd like to explore switching WardRep API to use Represent, as you probably do a way better job keeping the data up-to-date.

does that make sense?

thanks
Nik

James McKinney

Feb 13, 2013, 1:17:46 PM2/13/13
to openha...@googlegroups.com
For Milton, we just sent the town an email for the ward boundaries :) We update representatives using scrapers hosted on ScraperWiki.com. I'll write one for Milton today.

If you have future plans for WardRep (and the resources to implement them), then it makes sense to keep it around. On the other hand, if it will stay the same or merely duplicate represent.opennorth.ca, then it makes sense to instead contribute scrapers and code to Represent: https://github.com/opennorth/represent-canada

I only mentioned the municipalities relevant to WardRep in the last email, but Represent more generally has ward boundaries for 67 individual municipalities and representatives for 22, plus all municipal representatives for BC, AB and QC. It also has both boundaries and representatives for all provinces and the federal level. It has an API to make all that information available.

James

Nik Garkusha

Feb 13, 2013, 1:37:17 PM2/13/13
to James McKinney, openha...@googlegroups.com
I guess if WardRep used your API it's just a different UI. Having said that, there is no active ongoing development primarily b/c didn't want to duplicate what you were already doing.
I'll chat with Joey, Cory who were on the original hackathon for this to see if we could put a splash page / redirect.

From: Nik Garkusha <nikga...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 10:37:17 -0800
Subject: RE: [OpenHamilton: 651] WardRep.ca

James McKinney

Feb 13, 2013, 2:33:46 PM2/13/13
to jo...@thinkhaus.org, openha...@googlegroups.com
I wasn't aware a refund was available! Do they offer them for free now?

jo...@thinkhaus.org

Feb 13, 2013, 2:43:27 PM2/13/13
to James McKinney, openha...@googlegroups.com
I advocated for you to get one. I will take this up further with the City manager.

From: James McKinney <ja...@opennorth.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:33:46 -0500