Smart Things Hub integration

Paul Hampson

Sep 17, 2015, 5:07:56 PM9/17/15
to openhab
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone is working on a smart things hub integration with OpenHAB?

I like the look of the app and it has some nice scheduling and other bits that I think my wife would find easy to use (this is a big hole in OpenHAB at the moment). I don't plan to replace OpenHAB with smart things (yay!) as OpenHAB has a lot of support for devices that SmartThings doesn't, and may never do such as the humidity/temp sensors I use via RFXCom and the Max!CUL devices that do my heating.

It looks like we'd need to write something on the SmartThings side to discover OpenHAB and get all the items and let SmartThings know about each of the 'devices' - which will translate to OpenHAB items I presume. It doesn't look too hard as SmartThings can access services on the LAN and supports REST, so not much to do on the OpenHAB side. The one thing I don't know so much about is integrating the other way round, for example if I wanted to move my ZWave devices to the smart things hub and still maintain OpenHAB access to them in some way. I guess we would need a binding to do this.

Anyone else looking at SmartThings at all? Would be good to get some collaboration potentially and know what people are trying/likely to do. In anycase I've ordered a hub to have a play with.

Developer documentation can be found here- http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/

Cheers,
Paul