Say and playSound stopped working

thorcode

Jul 26, 2015, 5:20:21 AM7/26/15
to openhab

I am running org.openhab.io.multimedia.tts.googletts-1.7.0.jar on ubuntu and the sound had been working for weeks (months really - but upgraded to 1.7 and it worked for weeks). It all of a sudden both the say and playSound commands stopped producing sound. Not sure what could have happened.

I don't see anything in the logs that is related to 'sound' issues...

I can see the binding go out and get the sound bytes - 08:21:20.714 [DEBUG] [.i.m.i.tts.TTSServiceGoogleTTS:121 ] - Connecting to URL http://translate.google.com/translate_tts?tl=en&q=front%20garage%20door%20closed

I checked alsamixer and nothing is muted and volume is up.

aplay works: aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono

My openhab mpd binding plays music just fine.

I didn't see any related issues on this topic so I thought I ask...

Looking for any troubleshooting tips to get this to work again ...

*Also - tried a few other things (downloaded audio using wget and played it successfully via mplayer) and that thread can be found here:  https://github.com/openhab/openhab/issues/2955

Regards,
John

Dominic Lerbs

Jul 26, 2015, 4:15:21 PM7/26/15
to openhab, cairns...@gmail.com
Hi John,

I am the developer of the GoogleTTS binding. The binding itself is using a quite old but appearently widely-used library called JLayer (by Javazoom) for playing the TTS mp3. Unfortunately this library has no logging at all which makes debugging more difficult.
Therefore I have added some more debug information to the GoogleTTS binding itself (please find attached). Could you please try to execute the TTS function with this binding? The additional debug will at least show if the execution of the play function takes the expected amount of time and should help to seperate if the issue is within the binding or starts with the library usage.

Best regards,
Dominic
org.openhab.io.multimedia.tts.googletts-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

Joe Barneson

Aug 9, 2015, 10:29:33 AM8/9/15
to openhab, cairns...@gmail.com
I am having a similar problem - except it's for any TTS binding. Audio plays fine locally from ubuntu as John pointed out in his initial posts - but I can't hear audio being sent out from OH.

lolodomo

Aug 9, 2015, 10:56:32 AM8/9/15
to openhab
Google changed the API few days ago. The fix is easy and was explained in another discussion last weekend I think.

Dominic Lerbs

Sep 12, 2015, 9:46:20 AM9/12/15
to openhab
Yes, this thread is here: https://groups.google.com/d/topic/openhab/Sb8CuHDDCBk/discussion

Solution for the GoogleTTS binding is to add a parameter to the GoogleTTS URL in the openhab.cfg (Alternatively you can update to the latest 1.8.0 snapshot of the GoogleTTS binding where it also should be fixed)