OpenGov Metrics at TransparencyCamp

Stephen Buckley

Apr 28, 2011, 11:59:40 PM4/28/11
to OpenGov Metrics
I just created this google-group but will otherwise occupied on Friday
and (driving to D.C.) and then Saturday and Sunday at http://www.TransparencyCamp.org
where I hope to interest others in the value of standard methods for
(gasp) measuring whether progress is being made in Open Government.

If you are attending TransparencyCamp on Saturday (or maybe just the
happy hour at the Rocket Bar in D.C.), I am the guy in the red-shirt
with very short gray hair and glasses (see photo at http://www.twitter.com/transpartisan
). You can also text me at 774-722-1238.

vr,
Stephen Buckley
moderator, OpenGov Metrics
Message has been deleted

Keiron Bailey

Apr 29, 2011, 11:19:51 AM4/29/11
to OpenGov Metrics
Stephen, many thanks. This is a step forwards.

We can all continue to work towards performance metrics for public
processes, in ways that foster the OpenGovernment principles of
transparency, participation and collaboration. The identification of,
and respond to, public needs is poorly performed by institutions in
part because of the disincentives and inertias identified in the
Champions of Participation report, and because of other factors that
the report does not address. A serious discussion is needed, directed
at developing practical metrics that can be implemented and
enforced.

We believe that this is possible. We believe that in collaboration
with other stakeholders, including the public at large, such metrics
can be defined and implemented and that they would make a meaningful
and positive difference to governance. Aligning public goods
management strategies more directly with public needs and delivering
more effective responses to systemic crises are two of the benefits
that we seek.

But we are a long way from this point. We need to share our ideas in
pursuit of these necessary and challenging goals.