WJP's new "Open Government Index"

Stephen Buckley

Apr 9, 2015, 6:32:29 PM4/9/15
to Alejandro Ponce, OpenGovMetrics email-group
To Alejandro Ponce (cc: OpenGovMetrics email-group),

It would be nice if you could share some of the feedback that you have been getting on the World Justice Project's new "Open Government Index".

Although I have seen some reactions, those postings are unconnected (and/or lack an option for commenting) and, so, they do not really constitute a discussion.

Therefore, it seems that this topic is exactly the type that would benefit from an open and public discussion, here on the OpenGovMetrics email-group ( where each posting is archived here for public reference; Google membership is not required).

As the group's Moderator, I will hold back on my thoughts, for now, and let you give us a sense of your reaction to the feedback that you have been receiving.  You may, of course, refer to the specific language as contained in a person's public postings online.

And then, if those authors (or others) respond here to your posting, then we might actually participate in an open and public discussion, i.e., that "other" aspect of open government. (!)

To get that discussion started, please tell us what you think of two reactions that were posted today on FreedomInfo.org:

FreedomInfo.org - Update, April 9, 2015
Commentary:
Read two reactions to the World Justice Project's™ new Open Government Index.

Helen Darbishire writes that the methodology is skewed by its broad definition of requests for information.
http://www.freedominfo.org/2015/04/design-of-wjp-open-gov-index-skews-results/

Ben Worthy finds the results "fascinating" and raises questions about some of the results.
http://www.freedominfo.org/2015/04/wjp-open-government-index-raises-interesting-questions/

To submit a response for posting to the OpenGovMetrics email-group, just "Reply All" to this message.  Also, any person wanting to be sure NOT to miss subsequent messages on this, or other discussions involving the evaluation of Open Government efforts, can join the email-group by sending a blank message to: opengovmetrics +subscribe@googlegroups. com  (instructions to "leave the group" are included in every posting).

best,

Stephen Buckley, moderator
OpenGovMetrics email-group
also @OpenGovMetrics