Chi Hack Night #195: BallotReady

Derek Eder

Mar 4, 2016, 1:37:19 PM3/4/16
to chihacknight, Open Gov Chicago

The 195th Chi Hack Night is Tuesday, March 8th at 6pm. RSVP here!

With the March 15th Primary right around the corner, it’s time to get educated about the candidates. Thankfully, there’s an app for that!

BallotReady is an online voter guide for local elections. Their mission is to make it easy to vote informed on every candidate.

Alex Niemczewski, CEO of BallotReady, will discuss how big of a problem voting uninformed is: from how overwhelming it is to become informed, to the implications behind how our elected officials come to be elected. She’ll also talk about their solution and the collaborative effort it takes to have a lasting impact on our democracy.

Agenda and meeting notes
Breakout groups
Code of conduct
Sponsor DataMade

Chi Hack Night Survey: Presentations & Swag!

We have a quick, 5 question member survey to collect your feedback on our recent presentations and potential Chi Hack Night swag. We’d love to hear from you!

Take the 5 question survey

Chi Hack Night blog
So you built an app, now what? Guerilla marketing protips for civic tech app

On Feb 23rd 2016, Joel Inwood hosted a one-time breakout session at Chi Hack Night to discuss lean and feedback-centric methods of promoting your civic app. Read more >

Last week's presentation
Jen Pahlka, Code for America

At the last Chi Hack Night, Jen Pahlka from Code for America shared a bit about the challenges the 2016 fellowship teams are tackling and what they are learning about in the issues of economic development, criminal justice, and human services.. For more Chi Hack Night presentations, subscribe to our YouTube Channel!

Chi Hack Night
6pm Every Tuesday
Braintree office
222 W Merchandise Mart Plz, 8th floor

J King

Mar 7, 2016, 12:05:45 PM3/7/16
to OpenGov...@googlegroups.com, chihacknight
Hello,

Maybe I have overlooked it but I cannot find anything on the BallotReady website that indicates who is actually doing the writing and compiling. I would appreciate it if someone could please send the link to this info if it is there.

Thank you,
Judy King

--
To keep up to date on upcoming events, join our Meetup group: http://www.meetup.com/OpenGovChicago/
Follow @OpenGovChicago on Twitter

J King

Mar 8, 2016, 5:29:43 PM3/8/16
to OpenGov...@googlegroups.com
Thank you.

I do appreciate that BallotReady does link to the information sources.

I thought the feature that allows you to compare your opinions with the candidates was fun but I had some difficulty with it because you could only choose one option and the options were not always mutually exclusive or representative of my opinion. I would include a "none of the above" option, too.

I was looking for more information about the authors. There are no names, for example, above/below the articles on the Blog. The names of the the academic/institutional members are not listed, just the institutions. I believe it would create more transparency and accountability if the people behind the site were identifiable. I noticed today, however, that there is a signed post by Aviva Rosman, BallotReady Co-Founder and COO.

It would be of interest if one could compare candidates without inputting personal information.

This site has a lot of helpful information. Thanks.

Take care,
Judy King