Illinois has languished without a budget for over 210 days ...

Derek Eder

Jan 27, 2016, 12:50:36 PM1/27/16
to chihacknight, Open Gov Chicago
6 Months, 4 Days, 6 Hours, 26 Minutes, 22 Seconds to be exact.

Chi Hack Night is launching a new website today called http://ilbudgetclock.com.

Illinois Budget Clock
aggregates stories of the impact of the Illinois state budget impasse in order to impose a greater sense of urgency and pressure Illinois politicians to act.s
The lack of a state budget has far-reaching consequences. For example, did you know?
  • Human service agencies have taken on $35 million in debt to cover the budget shortfall. (Source: PR Newswire)
  • The backlog of state bills will reach $9 billion by July 2016. (Source: Chicago Sun-Times)
  • 75,000 Illinois domestic violence victims will lose services. (Source: Reboot Illinois)

And the list goes on ...

Built over the course of two days, 12 members of the Chi Hack Night collaborated to collect as many stories about the consequences of of our dysfunctional State government and present them in a simple and easy to understand format.

As Gov. Rauner prepares to give his State of the State address today at noon, all eyes will turn to Springfield, eager to hear what he plans to do. We ask that Gov. Rauner, House Speaker Madigan and Senate President Cullerton put aside their partisan agendas and serve the people who elected them.