edge packages

Sebastien Lambla

May 16, 2012, 7:23:38 PM5/16/12
to openevery...@googlegroups.com

Another one for you tonight,

With the semver branch we’ve had support for pre-release packages in place. The only missing bit was to make sure we only resolve packages that are not pre-release by default.

This is now done with the –edge input on add-wrap and set-wrap. When you use that, your dependency is going to look like this:

Depends: nhibernate ~> 3 edge

This will automatically import pre-release packages for that package.

Resolution rules are simple: You can only have a pre-release package in a branch for which the root (your dependency) is marked as edge. Otherwise, the packages containing references to edge packages and edge packages will be completely ignored.

That closes issue number 4 that we’ve had opened for two years (yay!).

There are now 31 opened issues for the 2.0.3 release, feel free to lool at them and suggest any that could be  pushed to the next version, or even fix them yourselves.

Seb

Ruben Vandeginste

May 21, 2012, 7:24:36 AM5/21/12
On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 1:23 AM, Sebastien Lambla <s...@serialseb.com> wrote:
> Another one for you tonight,
>
> With the semver branch we’ve had support for pre-release packages in place.
> The only missing bit was to make sure we only resolve packages that are not
> pre-release by default.
>
> This is now done with the –edge input on add-wrap and set-wrap. When you use
> that, your dependency is going to look like this:
>
> Depends: nhibernate ~> 3 edge
>
> This will automatically import pre-release packages for that package.

Nice! But how is a package itself marked as pre-release? Something to
do with the version number?

> Resolution rules are simple: You can only have a pre-release package in a
> branch for which the root (your dependency) is marked as edge. Otherwise,
> the packages containing references to edge packages and edge packages will
> be completely ignored.

This seems intuitive.

> That closes issue number 4 that we’ve had opened for two years (yay!).
>
> There are now 31 opened issues for the 2.0.3 release, feel free to lool at
> them and suggest any that could be  pushed to the next version, or even fix
> them yourselves.

Will try to take a look during this week, or coming weekend.

Ruben

Sebastien Lambla

May 21, 2012, 9:49:47 AM5/21/12
to openevery...@googlegroups.com
> Nice! But how is a package itself marked as pre-release? Something to
> do with the version number?

Yes, you just create your package as being 2.0.0-beta and it becomes an edge package.

It works the same as -pre in nuget / gems, except it's called edge because I prefer that name and more importantly because it helps with command resolution (I'll add a task to help with those circumstances soon, but there's enough in 2.0.3 already and it's more than time to get this baby out of the door).

Seb