Deadline

Sebastien Lambla

May 11, 2012, 10:23:28 PM5/11/12
to openevery...@googlegroups.com
Well.

Change of plans are in order. Im closing this mailing list by Monday night, as it's not in use it has no reason to exist.

Thanks for your participation.

--
Seb

Ruben Vandeginste

May 12, 2012, 4:58:16 AM5/12/12
to openevery...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sebastien,

What exactly does this mean for the Open* projects? Personally, my
main interest is in the OpenWrap project and I (and colleagues) still
use it daily. I realise you put a lot of effort in preparing for a new
release (the f/semver branch) and it's definitely still on my todo
list to build the new version and test it against our packages. The
problem (as always, and probably for a lot of people) is time... aside
from that, I just got back from a 3+ week holiday.

Regarding OpenWrap there is definitely a willingness to help from me
and a colleague. It's a priority for us to test the "f/semver" branch.
We are looking forward to that release and I hope to test it this
weekend. The thing that is holding us back a bit, is the fact that
none of us is very fluent with git (yet).

I also saw your email from several days back. In that email you refer
to a task list, but honestly, I have no idea what you are referring
to? Is that something specific for the OpenWrap or Openrasta projects,
or is that referring to the setup of "openeverything" with things like
setup teamcity, website,...?

cheers,
Ruben

Sebastien Lambla

May 12, 2012, 7:10:14 PM5/12/12
to <openeverything-dev@googlegroups.com>, openevery...@googlegroups.com
Ruben,

Thanks for your answer. The task list I refer to is something that was agreed between various parties many months ago to relieve some of the burden of me maintaining everything on my own. A task list was set up, whereby various companies and individuals would take on some of the tasks that, if I am to do on my own, will prevent me from getting OpenWrap and OpenRasta to the next stages of their lives.

Sadly, that task list only got people to interact for a bit and everybody went back into silence, making me question the viability of the projects in the long term.

Hence my email that if no external involvement happened I would just stop maintaining the projects and this mailing list, as it costs me much and I have lost a lot of the pleasure I used to have in getting them to progress.

I'll leave it another week and see if there is more movement. I understand that a vast majority of users won't turn into contributors overnight, but for those that involved themselves in promising contributions and haven't delivered, this is seriously making me question if I should continue in the projects at all.

That's the low down :) if you do want to test the semver branch, please do, the lack of feedback on it is one of the reasons it's not gone back into master yet.

--
Seb