(very) beta IIe functionality available (via xcode)

Zellyn

Feb 23, 2017, 12:05:03 AM2/23/17
to OpenEmulator
For the brave, and very hot-off-the-presses, this seemed to work for me and 4am:

cd OpenEmulator-zellyn
git checkout iie
git submodule update --init --recursive
open OpenEmulator.xcodeproj

Things that I know don't work yet which are really inexcusable:
  • any-key-down keyboard functionality
  • restarting/rebooting/powering-off-and-on-again (I must be failing to reset some softswitches or something?)
  • I wasn't able to type open- or closed-apple (left alt, right alt) keys plus question-mark at the same time in the IIe diagnostic disk
Things which are probably bad but probably matter less but I plan to fix eventually:
  • haven't checked that the floating bus is reading correct locations (it seems to have IIe-specific code in there though so maybe it is)
  • haven't checked that switching video modes mid-scanline works at all, and switches at the correct x-position
  • it has no concept of keyboard ROM, so you can't remap keys
  • You can't plug/unplug aux 64k and 1k cards like proper OpenEmulator components
Good luck :-)

Zellyn

Zellyn

Feb 23, 2017, 12:06:10 AM2/23/17
to OpenEmulator
Oh, and if you can find non-disk-related infidelities with real hardware, especially if you can demonstrate them with short BASIC or acme assembler programs, I will add them to my test suite and do my best to fix them.

Zellyn

Feb 23, 2017, 9:14:30 AM2/23/17
to OpenEmulator
I should also take this opportunity to recommend the #openemulator channel on the retrocomputing Slack. Invites for anyone at https://retrocomputing.herokuapp.com

Antoine Vignau

Feb 25, 2017, 6:07:27 AM2/25/17
to OpenEmulator
Is this available as an executable or source only?

Zellyn

Feb 25, 2017, 8:40:00 AM2/25/17
to OpenEmulator
Only source for now. I haven't figured out how to build apps yet. But I can give it a try and stick a build in Dropbox tonight or tomorrow night if that would be useful.

Antoine Vignau

Feb 26, 2017, 3:35:33 AM2/26/17
to OpenEmulator
Thanks but take your time.
I won't be able to build the executable but I can wait until you are satisfied with the code updates.

Antoine

Antoine Vignau

May 27, 2017, 5:31:27 PM5/27/17
to OpenEmulator
I'm having fun and enjoy the latest release of OpenEmulator, thanks for making it real.
I'd like to submit a bug please:
- version 1.0.3.1 (nversioned directory)
- use an Apple // computer unenhanced (enhanced not tested)
- boot a Pascal disk, it will switch to 80-col
- once loaded, change disk, take a DOS 3.3 one
- reboot/restart/re-whatever

It will leave the 80-col mode on. On a real machine, a ctrl-oa-reset switches back to 40-col.

Thank you and keep up the good work,
Antoine

Zellyn Hunter

Mar 22, 2018, 1:51:38 PM3/22/18
to Antoine Vignau, OpenEmulator
Thanks! Sorry for sitting on this for so long — it got buried in my inbox. I've created an issue for it: https://github.com/OpenEmulatorProject/libemulation/issues/27

Zellyn

Antoine Vignau

Mar 22, 2018, 3:11:17 PM3/22/18
to Zellyn Hunter, OpenEmulator
This is my birthday today, so we're cool ;-)
Thanks,
av