2018 general election update

Open Elections Team

Jan 14, 2019, 8:12:25 AM1/14/19
to openelections
Hello OpenElectioneers!

Happy New Year to all of you, and here's an update on our progress in producing precinct-level results for the 2018 general election:

We've produced statewide CSV files with precinct-level results for 32 states so far, and we've got 7 more that we're currently working on. You can see which states in this Google sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15_7PV0AuLjMgutAGiuGVquZJQ2l0lWkusckuHhIBXrQ/edit#gid=1045579895

Of the remaining states, the hardest ones will be New York, Texas, West Virginia, Indiana, Kentucky and New Jersey. We've got volunteers working on the first three, and in Texas we've converted 94 of 254 counties so far. If you're up to grab a PDF and create a CSV file from it, head over to the Github repos and claim one:

California is another one where we need some help, although we might reserve that for our session at the upcoming NICAR conference, since it's in Newport Beach this year.

We've recently begun filling in our gaps for county-level results as well. You can see our tracker here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U0zW7u6IylULyb9kwZwjNrVmf8EmpNOjU494TV55wiI/edit#gid=0

Adopting a state for county-level results is something that's not too hard and would provide an immediate boost to our efforts. If you're interested, respond to this thread or email us at openel...@gmail.com.

If you have official precinct-level results that you want to share, check out the -sources- repositories on GitHub and send us a pull request, or just email what you've got. We'll happily take pretty much whatever.

Thanks to our volunteers for all of their hard work, and for your interest in creating a free resource of official election results.

Sincerely,

Derek Willis
OpenElections