Join our scraper-writing challenge next weekend at National Day of Civic Hacking

Sara Schnadt

May 26, 2014, 4:42:18 PM5/26/14
to openel...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Are you a hacker? Have you been thinking about joining in on our scraper-writing effort? Are you participating in National Day of Civic Hacking next weekend?

Well, consider joining us and getting started on acquiring and processing election results for a state. We have several that are ready to work on, and we would appreciate your help!

If you are not going to an event next weekend, and would like to join us from home, that will be great too.

Details here...

My best,

Sara

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

May 26, 2014, 5:01:04 PM5/26/14
to openel...@googlegroups.com
I've got the metadata keyed in for Oregon and will be attending the
hackathon this weekend. However, I'm now the spatial database team
lead for Hack Oregon (http://www.hackoregon.org/) and am focusing on
getting shapefiles for the various voter districts in Oregon. It turns
out that Oregon did not supply complete data to the Census Bureau for
that, so we'll be writing our own scrapers, filing requests and paying
data fees to individual counties.

The Oregon primary for 2014 was Tuesday, May 20. There are unofficial
results up but the official results aren't posted yet. Meanwhile, our
Github site is https://github.com/hackoregon. The Spatial Database
repo is https://github.com/hackoregon/SpatialDatabase and my previous
data download scripts are in
https://github.com/hackoregon/ballotpath/tree/master/znmeb. You might
also be able to use
https://github.com/hackoregon/ballotpath/blob/master/znmeb/counties.csv
- it's a list of the Oregon counties with election results and GIS
data links.
> --

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism on a Stick
http://j.mp/CompJournoStickOverview

You can catch more flies with a sticky tongue than you can with vinegar.