Status update on 2018 general election

Open Elections Team

May 7, 2019, 9:16:36 PM5/7/19
to openelections
Hello, new and long-time members alike!

A brief update on the progress we've made in compiling and producing precinct-level results from the 2018 general election:

We have produced statewide official precinct-level data for 42 states and the District of Columbia, for all non-judicial contests down to the state legislative level.

The outstanding states are:

* California (we have one county to finish)
* Indiana (about 2/3rds done)
* Kentucky (about 3/5ths done)
* Maine (not yet started)
* Michigan (not yet started)
* New York (6 counties to finish)
* Texas (20 counties to finish)

A quick word about Maine and Michigan. The only reason we haven't done Maine is that we don't yet have a clear idea on how we're handling the ranked-choice results for one U.S. House race. We haven't faced that scenario before and are still trying to figure out how best to represent that data. All of the other races could be done pretty easily if someone would like to give it a shot. Michigan usually produces machine-readable data but has not completed that task yet (the SOS has posted PDFs for every county).

In New York we still have two counties to get results from, and we're working on the others. Should have Nassau done in a week or so. In Texas we're way ahead of our 2016 pace but these last counties will take time to get, based on experience. If we need to, we'll use the Texas Legislative Council's data for those counties, although we'd prefer not to because it does not contain vote by type nor include uncontested races.

Here's one way you could really help: if you know your state's political geography well, we'd welcome a fresh set of eyes on the data we've produced. This is an occasionally messy process, and we want to get things as accurate as possible. If you see errors, post here, email us or file an issue on the -data- repository for that state on Github (you can find all of our repos at https://github.com/openelections). In addition, if you know of a _better_ version of the results from a state or county - one that contains breakdowns by early voting/election day tallies, and/or includes under and over votes, please let us know that, too.

Another way to help us is to let us know what's useful, what isn't, and what you'd like to see from us. I can't promise we'll have the ability or resources to do everything, but it helps to hear that we're filling a need.

Thanks,
Derek Willis
OpenElections