Signing up Customer/User/Student by API

sheikh abdul wahid

Jan 11, 2017, 6:40:12 AM1/11/17
to Open edX operations
Is it possible to signup a user by API?

Nate Aune

Jan 17, 2017, 12:22:12 AM1/17/17
to Open edX operations

sheikh abdul wahid

Jan 17, 2017, 6:16:36 AM1/17/17
to Open edX operations
Yes. But i think it is only for signed in users.

Braden MacDonald

Jan 17, 2017, 1:22:17 PM1/17/17
to opene...@googlegroups.com
It's not documented, but if you use an EDX_API_KEY to authenticate the request, then you can make server-to-server enrollment calls using that API. (Eventually I think EDX_API_KEY is supposed to be deprecated in favor of OAuth, but this is the only way to achieve this now, AFAIK.)

--
Braden

sheikh abdul wahid

Jan 18, 2017, 2:07:28 AM1/18/17
to Open edX operations
Thanks for reply.
But still this enrollment only for existing user. See the code plz Throw Exception if user doesn't exist.

On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 10:22:12 AM UTC+5, Nate Aune wrote:
Have you looked at the enrollment API? https://edx.readthedocs.io/projects/edx-platform-api/en/latest/enrollment/enrollment.html#view-and-add-to-a-users-course-enrollments

On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 3:40:12 AM UTC-8, sheikh abdul wahid wrote:
Is it possible to signup a user by API?

Nate Aune

Jan 22, 2017, 6:32:18 PM1/22/17
to Open edX operations
For some of our customer projects, we build a new Django app called "appsembler_api" that has among other methods, a method to programmatically create a new user. https://github.com/appsembler/edx-platform/blob/appsembler/eucalyptus/master/lms/djangoapps/appsembler_api/views.py#L56-L74

sheikh abdul wahid

Jan 25, 2017, 2:05:11 AM1/25/17
to Open edX operations
Thanks a lot, it seems what i was looking for. I will check and let you know if I have further queries.

sheikh abdul wahid

Jan 25, 2017, 2:26:32 AM1/25/17
to Open edX operations
Is there way to get the access of these endpoints?

Nate Aune

Jan 25, 2017, 7:34:32 PM1/25/17
to opene...@googlegroups.com
What do you mean "get the access of these endpoints?" The API
requires OAuth authentication to grant access to the endpoints and
actions.

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 11:26 PM, sheikh abdul wahid
> Google Groups "Open edX operations" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/openedx-ops/s_Qpb_jVltk/unsubscribe.
> openedx-ops...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openedx-ops/0caf5151-8241-40cb-8c66-c877d64e1c78%40googlegroups.com.

Website: http://www.appsembler.com
Blog: http://www.appsembler.com/blog
Twitter: http://twitter.com/natea
LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/natea
Phone: +1 (617) 702-4331

sheikh abdul wahid

Jan 26, 2017, 3:16:32 AM1/26/17
to Open edX operations
Yes, I want to request Oauth credentials for this api, same I did for Catalog api.
But i don't know how or where to request for this. I believe there would be a requesting procedure to get oauth credentials for other apis (enrollment, user signingup, user edit etc) same as for catalog api.

ma...@noderabbit.com

Jan 15, 2018, 5:28:45 PM1/15/18
to Open edX operations
Hi Sheikh,

In order to use the Signin Up API endpoint you need to make sure that the OAuth credentials are attached to a Superuser User.

I'm describing the creation steps here so you can check:

1. In your instance go to the Django's admin OAuth section, and go to Clients: /admin/oauth2/client/
2. Add (or edit an existing) client.
3. In user, browse and select a user who has superuser privileges.
4. You can leave the default Client Id and Client secret, but to generate new ones using a strong random script is a good practice too.
5. In client type select "Confidential (Web Application)"

Then make sure to request a new Access Token using these new credentials, and try out the endpoint again.

Emeric LEBON

Feb 20, 2018, 5:18:51 AM2/20/18
to Open edX operations
Hi! I was passing by and thought this API could be useful to me. Does it also work for creating user accounts for users who'll connect through a third party oauth app ?
The thing is I just don't want the users to see the registration form, which they still see when connecting for the first time with a third party oauth service.

Nate Aune

Feb 20, 2018, 10:29:25 AM2/20/18
to opene...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you can optionally dissable the registration form so the users never see that if they’re creating their account via oauth or SAML integration.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Open edX operations" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openedx-ops/50c50745-0c09-44c4-bfa9-5fb5eb56b77f%40googlegroups.com.

Georgios Psathas

Aug 7, 2019, 10:59:06 AM8/7/19
to Open edX operations
Is it possible to update User's verification status through API?

I want to insert users into Open Edx through API request but I don't want those users to be forced to follow the verification procedure by taking Photo and ID (for the verified track).