Setup to develop a custom theme in devstack

Sofiane Bebert

Aug 8, 2019, 11:32:27 AM8/8/19
to Open edX operations

Hi,

I have setup devstack on my laptop running windows 10 (using Docker Toolbox) and I want to use it to work on a custom theme. Currently, I can modify the scss files and see the changes just fine but not when I change the template files.

I initially tried to configure comprehensive theming using the lms.env.json files but it didn’t work

devstack_docker.py:
COMPREHENSIVE_THEME_DIRS = [

    “/edx/app/edx-themes/edx.custom-theme/themes”,

   ]

   DEFAULT_SITE_THEME = ‘custom-theme’

   ENABLE_COMPREHENSIVE_THEMING = True

After changing the files I run the following:
make lms-static
make lms-restart

The CSS changes are applied but not the html changes.

I’ve tried the same changes (e.g. changing index_overlay.html) on a native installation and it worked fine.

It’s probably something to do with my setup, I am looking for pointers on where to look to figure out what’s going on.

Thank you!

Ned Batchelder

Aug 8, 2019, 11:34:15 AM8/8/19
to Open edX operations