Discussion Issue

TDOE LMS

Jul 16, 2019, 11:56:28 AM7/16/19
to Open edX operations
Hello all,

I am having an issue with the discussion xblock. Initially I had an issue where the forums wouldn't load and there was an error with the alias. I fixed that by re-initializing elasticsearch. Now when I attempt to post something I get this message:

Error posting your message.

Your request could not be processed. Refresh the page and try again.

Can anyone help me fix this issue?

Thanks,

Antoine Selim

Jul 25, 2019, 5:07:09 AM7/25/19
to Open edX operations
I have no solution for this unfortunately. In fact I receive the exact same message when trying to post something.

Mahyar Damavand

Jul 25, 2019, 7:56:13 AM7/25/19
to Open edX operations
Hi,
This message is a general message which notifies that something is wrong.
try to check relating log files and see what causes the process to be failed.
sudo tail -f /edx/var/log/{supervisor,lms}/*log

مهیار دماوند
Mahyar Damavand

Antoine Selim

Jul 30, 2019, 6:43:46 AM7/30/19
to Open edX operations

Following this thread, we figured out that there is a problem with Elasticsearch, we would most likely need to re-initialise (re-index) the search database.

The edX Comments service is written in Ruby. The thread advises using the Comments interface to access and fix the Elasticsearch index. That would be the easiest indeed. We've installed the Ruby development environment on the machine, but... there's a version mismatch. We don't know how to deal with it, never used it. Another option is to access the Elasticsearch tool directly and rebuild the index. For this, we would need to know how to work with Elasticsearch, plus to figure out the logic used by the edX Comments...

So we are currently stuck at this point.