Upconverter frequency stability

peterco...@googlemail.com

Oct 23, 2013, 2:19:19 PM10/23/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Very pleased generally with the Upconverters performance, coverage and price!
I notice frequency drift, not so much but enough for a 170hz shift data decoder to drop out unless it's retuned on a fairly regular basis. I guess it's the Xtal?
It's not a big deal really, just wondered if there any measures(not too expensive) possible to minimise this drift? I have the unit built into a diacast box.

regards,

Peter

opendous

Oct 23, 2013, 3:34:00 PM10/23/13
to open...@googlegroups.com

The oscillators used are +/-25ppm so the frequency should be within +/-3125Hz ((125000000*(25/1000000))) over temperature.

Other than letting it warm up I don't have any good ideas.    If you have time and money you could experiment with different oscillators.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SGR-8002DC-SCM/SGR-8002DC-SCM-ND
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ECS-P83-BX/ECS-P83-BX-ND

I also notice an initial drift but it settles down and is stable.  Is there a constant drift?  Do you only see it with the Upconverter attached?  Does it happen with other dongles as well?