Upconverter not working?

Mark Simmons

Mar 3, 2014, 1:57:15 PM3/3/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to get my new Upconverter working through my R820T SDR, and have found that there is not anything happening when I toggle the upconvert. FM radio bands and WWV come through just fine in bypass mode but I can't get anything on low bands - also, the same signals seem to come through the upconverter when enabled, almost unaffected except for adding some noise. IC 5 logic levels shift when toggling the switch and the 125 MHz signal is showing okay on pin 4 of IC8 when switch is enabled but only noise in "bypass" positiion - is this correct?.   Tried inputting a 10 K Hz signal of 200mv into the front end but I don't see this on the output (should I be seeing a frequency at the output of the upconverter).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

Ram VU3RCN

Aug 10, 2014, 11:12:06 AM8/10/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
The same with me here also.

opendous

Aug 13, 2014, 1:12:43 AM8/13/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
  Connected to an RTL-SDR in Upconvert mode you should see some LO bleed at 125MHz when tuned to ~125.1MHz.  This implies the mixer, LO, and output filter are working.

  In Passthrough/Bypass mode an antenna connected to a RTL-SDR dongle with or without the Upconverter in series should have similar performance.  This implies the input and output switches are working.

  If you cannot receive anything in Upconvert mode then most likely your antenna is not working well at low frequencies.  Please try connecting to a larger antenna.  Radiators or water pipes or unspool a 100ft. reel of wire.

  If your antenna is designed for HAM bands then please check connections.