Using the transmit side?

q...@kd4e.com

Feb 1, 2013, 11:06:14 AM2/1/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone used the transmit side of the HamIt UpConverter?

"... a VHF transmitter that operates in the 100MHz to 150MHz range then the Upconverter
can be used in reverse as a down-converting mixer to broadcast over 0.5MHz to 50MHz
(downconverted 100.5MHz to 150MHz signal). All you would need is a Power Amplifier
and bandpass filter for your intended frequency range at the RF port and an attenuator
at the IF port if the transmitting signal was above 0dBm."

I presume that one would use a PC-controlled VHF transmitter/exciter so the same control
app may be used.  Is there something available that would be multi-mode (esp. CW, SSB,
& digital modes)?

Also, since already on VHF the same source might bypass the Converter on TX to be used
as a VHF & UHF exciter.

Also, what Linux-based app might be used to handle both the RX & TX features?

Thanks!

Opendous Support

Feb 2, 2013, 7:53:52 PM2/2/13
to Opendous
I haven't really explored this idea but during testing I generated a
-5dBm 125MHz signal and fed it into the IF port. At the RF port I saw
about -15dBm 25MHz. Theory and practice concur so this is a viable
idea.

Using a single Upconverter for transmit and receive would require
hardware at IF to switch between a transmitter and receiver. A switch
at RF between PA and receive would also be needed. For the
transmitter it might be possible to repurpose a simple FM
transmitter. If one could be modified to support beyond 108MHz it
would allow broadcasting on many amateur bands. There are many simple
FM transmitters out there for car audio and MP3 players, etc.

The basic idea: Cheap USB Audio FM Transmitter at 107-107.3MHz -->
Upconverter in reverse --> 7MHz Bandpass Filter --> Power Amplifier --
> 7MHz (40m Band) Antenna + License == Modest Cost SDR Transmitter

I recommend asking this question on a bigger forum such as Ultra-
Cheap-SDR:
http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/ultra-cheap-sdr