got ham it up today not working

webm...@cbjunkies.com

Feb 5, 2014, 5:44:11 PM2/5/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
hi I received my ham it up board today dongle works fine in bypass mode when I turn on the upconverter nothing anywhere I checked center pin of toggle and 3 volts goes off and on I checked for shorts at input connector no problem there if I tune to 125.000 when its on I do get a signal so I can assume its generating the 125.000 signal but nothing else anywhere

opendous

Feb 5, 2014, 7:39:27 PM2/5/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
  Thanks for running through basic testing.  What kind of antenna are you using?

  The Upconverter is quite sensitive but it does need an antenna somewhat in the HAM bands.  If you happen to have 120ft (~40m) of wire you could try stretching out the wire and connecting directly to the input of the connector.  GND (SMA connector bulk) could then be attached to household plumbing like a faucet.  Even without the GND connection and just the wire you should be able to pick something up in the HAM bands like a Time Signal station:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_clock

  If that doesn't work and you have some spare time, please try feeding a signal into the Upconverter and see if it gets upconverted properly.

  The simplest signal source that should work is a soundcard playing a 10000Hz tone through a voltage divider (R1=1k, R2=14.7k or values thereabout) (soundcards output 3.4Vp-p max while max Upconverter input is 0dBm~=0.225V).  The sleeve of a connector is GND while either tip (left) or ring (right) can be used as the signal source since it is stereo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider#Resistive_divider
http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/ed/ede0af49_1000x500px-LL-04b1b6c5_RE-ZERO_plug_pinout.png
http://www.audiocheck.net/audiofrequencysignalgenerator_sinetone.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level#Nominal_levels

  Please let me know if this is helpful.

opendous

Feb 5, 2014, 7:45:14 PM2/5/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Quick correction, R1=14.7k, R2=1k.  The smaller resistor should be connected to GND to attenuate the audio signal more strongly.

webm...@cbjunkies.com

Feb 5, 2014, 11:32:19 PM2/5/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi I have tested some more and I can receive a 20watt transmitter in the same room with the up converter running as for antennas a g5rv 35ft up and a cb vertical at 40ft without the up converter or in bypass I can receive the 27mhz cb band great on the vertical also weather police etc

webm...@cbjunkies.com

Feb 6, 2014, 12:08:53 AM2/6/14
to open...@googlegroups.com

webm...@cbjunkies.com

Feb 8, 2014, 10:21:54 AM2/8/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
I found the problem l5 inductor on lo circuit is open if I jump it out it comes to life on the schematic it says its 330nh I just need to know if it is the same value for this 125mhz unit

opendous

Feb 9, 2014, 1:09:10 PM2/9/14
to open...@googlegroups.com

webm...@cbjunkies.com

Feb 9, 2014, 2:30:47 PM2/9/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Right now I just have a jumper wire on there it works but I guess that would by why I see lots of birdies and stray spikes for lack of the filter

Opendous Incorporated

Feb 17, 2014, 6:49:59 PM2/17/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Just bypassing the 560nH inductor produces too much attenuation at
125MHz (lower red trace, middle schematic). When the LO signal is too
weak it will result in a lot of noise as higher level INput signals
will begin acting as the LO. The ports on a mixer are somewhat
interchangeable but the best performance is achieved when used as
defined.

Your best bet to improve performance aside from replacing the 560nH
inductor is to bypass the series capacitor (C22) as well (top
schematic, top trace).
Upconverter-125MHz_LO_Rework_Hack.jpg
Upconverter-125MHz-ADE_LO_Bandpass_Filter.sch
Upconverter-125MHz-ADE_LO_Bandpass_Filter.dpl