input signal protection

e5s...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2013, 8:59:08 AM7/5/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
 How well is the antenna input protected from signals stronger than 1dBm? The RX antenna I'm planning for the "Ham it up" is going to be aproxx 15 ft from and parallel to my 100W TX/RX  Ham antenna. I want to have both working at the same time and am trying to determine if I'll need to design more over power protection for the "Ham it up" with out resorting to a smoke test.

Opendous

Jul 15, 2013, 1:53:35 PM7/15/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
The +1dBm compression point is the point at which signal distortion becomes significant.

The BAV99WT1G protection diode limits signals to below about +10dBm.  The filters, switches, and mixer will survive such power levels but won't work correctly.

The BAV99WT1G can dissipate 250mW so it should be able to handle up to +24dBm continuously.

In any case, sending 100W into the Upconverter will destroy it.  It was designed with reception at low power levels in mind.

Does your "100W TX/RX Ham antenna" isolate/separate the TX and RX paths?  If so then the only issue is transients which the BAV99 should be able to handle.

Adding an AntennaGuard Varistor at the Upconverter input (Signal to Shield) will increase protection against switching transients.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/VC06AG183R0YAT1A/478-5819-1-ND

q...@kd4e.com

Jul 15, 2013, 1:57:27 PM7/15/13
to Opendous, open...@googlegroups.com
Will this increase loss or add noise?

--

Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

Search with: duckduckgo.com

Opendous

Jul 17, 2013, 10:10:20 PM7/17/13
to open...@googlegroups.com, Opendous, q...@kd4e.com
>> Adding an AntennaGuard Varistor at the Upconverter input (Signal to
>> Shield) will increase protection against switching transients.
>> http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/VC06AG183R0YAT1A/478-5819-1-ND
>
> Will this increase loss or add noise?

Insertion loss is <0.1dB up to about 300 MHz so no issues in the HAM bands.