Need some technical details of Ham it up

kumar

Sep 8, 2014, 8:11:58 AM9/8/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am interested in buying HAM It UP V1.2. But before that I would like to know a few things;

1) What is the frequency range it works with? Given below is an example;

Input frequency range: 0-30 MHZ , Output frequency range: 100MHz to 130 MHz.

So I want to know the exact specification, regarding the input frequency range and it's corresponding output frequency range.

2) What is the max. output power?

Can any of the experts please help me?

opendous

Sep 8, 2014, 12:48:08 PM9/8/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
> 1) What is the frequency range it works with?
> 2) What is the max. output power?

  The V1.2 Upconverter has a 125MHz LO and is a passive design so it only experiences losses.

  Taking 10dB as an acceptable level of signal loss, it will take signals in the 0.1MHz to 55MHz range and convert them to signals in the 125.1MHz to 180MHz range at power levels about 10dB lower than at the input.

  If 15dB is an acceptable loss then signals in the 45kHz to 64.5MHz range will Upconvert into the 125.045MHz to 189.5MHz range.

http://code.google.com/p/opendous/wiki/Upconverter#125MHz_Upconverter_Upconversion_Losses

  For a representative chart of Upconversion loss levels please refer to the following VNA results:
http://code.google.com/p/opendous/source/browse/trunk/Current_Designs/Upconverter/Upconverter-125MHz_2560pts_50ms_Upconversion_Losses.s1p

opendous

Sep 8, 2014, 1:09:38 PM9/8/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
> 2) What is the max. output power?

  The input is protected with a BAV99W diode array so input signals above +10dBm will be attenuated.  If those signals then exerience 10dB of Upconversion loss the output power will be 0dBm.

  However, the Upconverter's 1dB compression point is at +1dBm so signals above this will begin to experience distortion.

  The Upconverter therefore works best with input signal levels below 0dBm.

kumar

Sep 8, 2014, 11:49:00 PM9/8/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for your reply.

But my second question is about the output power. The reason being that I will be connecting HAM It UP to a spectrum analyzer. Please reply ASAP.

opendous

Sep 9, 2014, 12:23:40 PM9/9/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
> connecting HAM It UP to a spectrum analyzer

  On its own, the Upconverter will only have some LO bleed at the output which should be at around -40dBm so connecting to a spectrum analyzer should be safe.  It wouldn't hurt to use an attenuator when connecting any new item.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CATTEN-0100/744-1265-ND
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XSMA+attenuator+10dB&_nkw=SMA+attenuator+10dB&_sacat=0

  When used with an antenna or signal source, the output power level will be about 10dB lower than the input power level.

kumar

Sep 10, 2014, 2:37:36 AM9/10/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot. This info is helpful.

kumar

Sep 18, 2014, 7:01:14 AM9/18/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
I have received the HAM IT UP V1.2 pcb. Nice looking board and layout. We want to check the frequencies on various pcb traces using a pin probe ( simillar to an oscilloscope probe). What is the max. safe voltage the input can read?

opendous

Sep 18, 2014, 12:41:08 PM9/18/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
  The Upconverter will work best if you keep the input power level to 0dBm or below, which is about 0.6V peak-to-peak.
http://ifmaxp1.ifm.uni-hamburg.de/DBM.shtml

  The input protection BAV99W diodes clamp any input to about 0.8V but have 0.2W maximum power dissipation.  A 3.3V signal into 50ohms is 3.3V/50ohm~=0.07amp.  That means (3.3V-0.8V)*0.07=0.175W is dissipated so things should not break but the mixer will distort the signal.  Note that the ADE-1 mixer is rated to 0.05W so the safest option is to not stress the input protection and keep the signal level low.

  If your signal source is a 5V square wave please use a 20dB 1W+ attenuator on the input (or two 10dB in series).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMA-2W-male-to-female-RF-Coaxial-Attenuator-DC-6-0GHz-20dB-50ohm-/330894730954
http://us.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=CATTEN-0200

  If the signal is low-frequency then metal-film resistors are decently low noise and inexpensive to create a DIY attenuator.
http://www.random-science-tools.com/electronics/PI_attenuator.html
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MFR-25FBF52-249R/249XBK-ND
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MFR-25FBF52-61R9/61.9XBK-ND
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor#Metal_film