12V vs. 24V hardware

Arclight

Dec 14, 2010, 2:02:33 PM12/14/10
to OpenDoorHack-a-Thon
Hi all,

Our current rev of hardware is a panel that supports 2 readers, 4
alarm zones and has 4 relay outputs. I'm using a simple UPS circuit
with 3 diodes. How many people are using 24V door hardware vs. 12V?
While 24V mean lower amperage to the doors, 12V is cretainly easier/
cheaper to build UPSs and find nice power supplies for.

Also, I've been doing quite a bit of research on circuit protection.
The 2.0 hardware will have MOV (high amperage) and Zener diode (fast
clamping) protection. All of our inputs are opto-isolated using a
common NEC opto. Is anyone else doing this sort of thing in their
designs?

Code/Eagle files:
http://code.google.com/p/open-access-control/

Pics of the 1.0 board:
http://blog.shop.23b.org/2010/11/open-access-control-v100.html

Arclight

Flemming Frandsen

Dec 14, 2010, 3:21:19 PM12/14/10
to opendoorh...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Arclight <arcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How many people are using 24V door hardware vs. 12V?

I've only ever seen 12V hardware.

> While 24V mean lower amperage to the doors, 12V is cretainly easier/
> cheaper to build UPSs and find nice power supplies for.

What I've done is to have unregulated 15-30V DC as the main supply
voltage and then have local DC/DC converters that supply each door
controller with 12V and 3.3V DC, that way the 12V wires are all short.

> Also, I've been doing quite a bit of research on circuit protection.
> The 2.0 hardware will have MOV (high amperage) and Zener diode (fast
> clamping) protection. All of our inputs are opto-isolated using a
> common NEC opto. Is anyone else doing this sort of thing in their
> designs?

Well, I've just stuck 1k resistors on the GPIO pins to keep the
current in the AVRs built-in port protection diodes down in case of
over voltage, but all I interface with on those ports is 5 V, so it's
not the most aggressive environment.

--
Flemming Frandsen - YAPH - http://dren.dk/

Ron Bean

Dec 14, 2010, 10:43:56 PM12/14/10
to opendoorh...@googlegroups.com
>> How many people are using 24V door hardware vs. 12V?
>
>I've only ever seen 12V hardware.

The Von Duprin 5100 doorstrike can be wired for 12V or 24V.
(We're using it at 12V.)

There's a lot of 24V hardware available, but I don't know how many
suppliers stock it.