Add/Edit File - New Permissions UI

Stephen Lawrence Jr.

Feb 27, 2013, 12:02:41 AM2/27/13
to opendocman...@googlegroups.com
The time has come to do away with the over-complicated permissions tool for the Add/Edit File pages. When we initially implemented the Specific Permissions area we thought it was pretty easy to use. After many years of feedback and the same questions popping up about how to use that section of the add/edit file page we are making a change hopefully for the better.

Attached are two screenshots of the prototype: 1 before a click on the "Edit Department Permissions" link , and 1 after a click on the link. The two sections there will accordion when clicked.

Hopefully the new permissions matrix will make the setting of specific permissions much clearer for most users. Any feedback is appreciated.
Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 8.55.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 8.55.58 PM.png

Izaak Khaliq

Feb 27, 2013, 9:19:33 PM2/27/13
to opendocman...@googlegroups.com
Would it be more complete if the document could be assigned to more than 1 person and also to more than 1 department? It would be nice if it could be in radio button form or checklist form, so that you can choose any person/department (more than 1).

Stephen Lawrence

Mar 1, 2013, 9:14:56 AM3/1/13
to opendocman...@googlegroups.com
Hello Izzak,

If you were able to select multiple "owners" and multiple "departments", would that be used for searching? Or is there another benefit to have multiples for your business?

Steve

Izaak Khaliq

Mar 3, 2013, 7:44:37 AM3/3/13
to opendocman...@googlegroups.com
Hello Steve, I just realized I made a mistake. The "multiple owners" and " multiple departments" I was actually referring to are the settings for the receiving party(s) of the document (Department and Specific User Permissions). In this case, I think the best way is to provide a way to set multiple departments, so that the user can 'direct' the document to more than 1 department. What do you think?

PS: I also have received comments that it would be nicer if they can 'see' the Users they are 'directing' the document to, instead of pulling the dropdown menu. (design decision)

PPS: I have a feeling there are more 'opinions' I have missed out. I will get back to you when I remember them.

Regards, Izaak

On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:02:41 PM UTC+8, Stephen Lawrence Jr. wrote:
The time has come to do away with the over-complicated permissions tool for the Add/Edit File pages. When we initially implemented the Specific Permissions area we thought it was pretty easy to use. After many years of feedback and the same questions popping up about how to use that section of the add/edit file page we are making a change hopefully for the better.

Attached are two screenshots of the prototype: 1 before a click on the "Edit Department Permissions" link , and 1 after a click on the link. The two sections there will accordion when clicked.

Hopefully the new permissions matrix will make the setting of specific permissions much clearer for most users. Any feedback is appreciated.

Stephen Lawrence Jr.

Mar 4, 2013, 10:16:54 AM3/4/13
to opendocman...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

The current functionality of Dept Specific Permissions does allow for multiple departments to be set, but it may not be clear to many users. That is why I am changing both the Dept and User permissions to a radio button matrix.

Steve

Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

biswa bhusan ghosh

Sep 22, 2016, 11:36:42 AM9/22/16
to OpenDocMan Developers
suppose i want to disable the department permission and user permission while uploading file from user side , so how can i disable that permission from user point of view for more security purpose.