Forum kickoff

Jonathan Egstad

Feb 13, 2017, 9:15:18 PM2/13/17
to OpenDCX Forum
Welcome!
While this forum is primarily intended for developer use (OpenDCX is mostly a library extending OpenEXR,) general use questions are also welcome. Deep compositing is a tricky beast so please feel free to chime in.

Status as of February 2017:

* OpenDCX 2.2.1 was released just prior to Siggraph 2016 and is still a work in progress. While the dcx deep workflow has been used in active production code for a year or two at DreamWorks the library itself has not, so the API and organization is still in relative flux. We will be transitioning our production tools to the 2.2.2 release this year.

* If all goes well I'm intending to release 2.2.2 by March 1, 2017. This release has significant improvements to most of the primary classes and consequently has numerous API changes. The primary feature change is support for partial subpixel coverage to support filtered deep transforms.

* Documentation! The web site has stated 'coming soon' for over six months now and with release 2.2.2 there will be actual documentation, although it won't be a fully autodoc'd api like doxygen due to the library code conforming to the OpenEXR coding style. The primary classes will be documented (with example implementations) and there will be detailed explanations of the rational behind the dcx concepts.