Want to learn how to make interactive maps and charts?

Chad Skelton

Sep 15, 2014, 12:27:17 PM9/15/14
to opend...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Been a long-time lurker on the OpenDataBC list. Apologies for only coming out of the shadows for a bit of self-promotion. :)

I'm a data journalist at The Vancouver Sun and I teach Data Journalism at Kwantlen Polytechnic University in Surrey.

Shamelessly inspired by Hugh Stimson and Phillip Smith's excellent two-day data bootcamp, we're thinking of offering a one- or two-day data visualization workshop at Kwantlen that would teach folks how to analyze their data and create interactive maps and charts.

To try to get a sense of how much interest there would be in such a workshop -- and what folks are most interested in learning about -- I've created the following quick Google Form for those interested:

I suspect this kind of workshop would be too basic for many of you on the list. But if you know someone who is still a data visualization beginner and might find this type of training helpful, please pass on the link.

Those who add their names to our list will be the first to know when registration officially opens.

The workshop is still in the idea stage, but if you have any questions, please feel free to email me directly.

Thanks!

Chad Skelton, The Vancouver Sun / Kwantlen Polytechnic University

Herb Lainchbury

Sep 15, 2014, 1:50:33 PM9/15/14
to opend...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

I just wanted to say, I think this is a fantastic opportunity for anyone wanting to learn about data visualization.

If you've been to one of our hackathons and felt like you would like to know more about how to work with data this is your chance to learn more and get some hands-on experience with your own data!

Chad is an innovator and one of our open data trail-blazers and we're fortunate to have him as part of our open data community here in BC.

I am very excited to see Chad proposing a workshop like this and think it is exactly the kind of thing we should encourage.

Thanks Chad.

Herb

Herb Lainchbury, Dynamic Solutions

Chad Skelton

Oct 14, 2014, 3:27:18 PM10/14/14
to opend...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

Just a quick update: After having quite a few people express interest, I'm pleased to announce that my very first data visualization workshop is now open for registration.

Date: Saturday, Jan24 - Sunday, Jan. 25, 2015
Time: 10am-4:30pm each day, with an hour break for lunch
Where: SFU Harbour Centre, 515 West Hastings, Vancouver, BC
Price: $395 + GST

You can purchase tickets on Eventbrite here:

If you have any questions about the workshop, feel free to shoot me an email off list.

Chad Skelton