Existential Subsequence

Michael Burbidge

Oct 21, 2022, 2:42:06 PM10/21/22
to openCypher
The tkl test suite contains the following query:

MATCH (n) WHERE exists {
(n)-->()
}
RETURN n

In this query contains the following expression: "exists {(n)-->()}" Or at least according to the grammar WHERE should be followed by an expression.

But I cannot see how "exists {(n)-->()}" is a valid expression according to the grammar. "EXIST" is a valid function name according to https://s3.amazonaws.com/artifacts.opencypher.org/railroad/FunctionInvocation.html. But the function name is to be followed by '(', not '{'.

Can someone point me to the railroad diagram that defines the part of the expression grammar that addresses this expression?

Thanks,
Michael-

Hannes Voigt

Oct 21, 2022, 3:07:39 PM10/21/22
to Michael Burbidge, openCypher
Hi Michael,

EXIST subqueries are described in a CIP:
Cheers
-Hannes

Michael Burbidge

Oct 21, 2022, 5:21:30 PM10/21/22
to openCypher
Thank you Hannes. I'm new to the openCypher process, forgive me if I'm asking a question that has an obvious answer. It looks like CIPs are proposals that go through various stages and review and are finally merged. It's not clear from the README whether Accepted proposals have been merged or are just accepted for review. And the question I have is why are the test cases for this merged but not the grammar changes?

Michael-