GSOC 2024 Contributor application / expression of interest - Neural 3D Capture, Multi-Camera Calibration Toolbox

Abdullah Saleem

Mar 23, 2024, 8:38:06 PMMar 23
to opencv-gsoc-202x

Dear GSoC OpenCV mentors,

My name is Abdullah Saleem, and I am currently pursuing a Master's degree in Computer Vision and Robotics at the University of Surrey. I am writing to express my keen interest in participating in the Google Summer of Code 2024 program, specifically to contribute and collaborate with the OpenCV team.

Upon reviewing the list of project ideas for GSoC 2024 on the OpenCV software stack, I was particularly drawn to two projects:

1. Idea 1: Neural 3D Capture and Rendering

2. idea 6: Multi-Camera Calibration Toolbox

I firmly believe that my academic background and practical experience equip me with the necessary skills to undertake these projects effectively. Currently, I am immersed in my master's thesis, focusing on innovative computer vision techniques for object counting and crowd counting. My undergraduate studies was in Physics where my final project specialized in a statistical physics project titled: "Simulating the dynamics of a system of interacting identical quantum particles".

In addition, I have cultivated a strong foundation in deep learning, initially through the Coursera Deep Learning Specialization, followed by building hands-on projects utilising frameworks such as PyTorch and languages like MATLAB. Noteworthy projects in my repertoire include a speech recognition system, a visual search application, and various action recognition networks. Furthermore, my ongoing additional research work involves enhancing diffusion models' output quality and accuracy through rigorous experimentation with new techniques.

My primary motivation for participating in this GSoC project is to transition myself into the thriving AI open-source community, particularly within the realms of computer vision.

Kind regards,

Abdullah Saleem

Resume2024GSOC.pdf