GSoC project on Julia Bindings for OpenCV

archit rungta

Mar 5, 2020, 10:21:59 AM3/5/20
to opencv-gsoc-2020
Hey everyone,

My name is Archit Rungta. I'm an undergraduate sophomore at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur and I want to work on the project to create Julia Bindings for OpenCV. I have a lot of experience with Python, C++, and OpenCV. I have also started programming in Julia and am currently trying to contribute to the JuliaImages library.

I have already created a proposal for the same in the OpenCV wiki. I would like to get more information about how to proceed with my application and what should I do to strengthen my chances.

Sayan Sinha

Mar 7, 2020, 11:30:11 PM3/7/20
to opencv-gsoc-2020
Hey Archit,

 Thanks for reaching out. Can you help us with some docstrings for gen2.py? That should be a good start and will help keep us on the same page regarding your concepts. Also, it would be good to have some documentation in this regard. You might wish to follow https://www.learnopencv.com/how-to-convert-your-opencv-c-code-into-a-python-module/.

Regards,
Sayan.

archit rungta

Mar 10, 2020, 6:59:48 AM3/10/20
to opencv-gsoc-2020
Hey Sayan,

I just created a PR documenting some of the functions and classes in gen2.py. I also tried a simple CxxWrap.jl library and should be able to create a repo demonstrating basic imload and imshow capabilities with Julia. Should we continue with this discussion in the github issue or over here?

Sayan Sinha

Mar 12, 2020, 1:30:23 AM3/12/20
to opencv-gsoc-2020
Dear Archit,

  Thanks a lot for this. I would advise you to always mention the link to the PR you are talking about. Nevertheless, I am sharing the link here to make it easy for others: https://github.com/opencv/opencv/pull/16767

--Sayan

archit rungta

Mar 13, 2020, 3:39:50 AM3/13/20
to opencv-gsoc-2020
Hey Sayan,

I'll keep that in mind from now. I want to share with you https://github.com/archit120/JuliaOpenCVBindingTest It's a WIP test of CxxWrap based bindings for OpenCV and Julia. I already have some capabilities working along with cross-compatibility with Images.jl as demonstrated in test.jl. Apart from this, is there any particular template for proposal that I should follow? Also, where can I share it to get feedback?

Thanks,
Archit

Sayan Sinha

Mar 15, 2020, 11:52:03 AM3/15/20
to opencv-gsoc-2020
I guess Vadim would be a better person to let you know about the template. You can always share with me your draft proposal over email, and I would be glad to review it and provide you with feedback.

Thanks,
Sayan.

Vadim Pisarevsky

Mar 15, 2020, 2:52:15 PM3/15/20
to opencv-gsoc-2020
Hello,

I replied to your e-mail, but repeat here briefly to make this information shared.

There is no standard template for the application. Include information about youself, links to the source code and some ideas, together with the approximate timeline, on how you are going to implement this project.

In this particular project the technical skills are crucial. That includes good understanding of how Julia and C++ can be connected together.

So, I'd like Archit and everybody else who are interested to do this project to make a small pilot project - make Julia version of our face detection example:

for that you would need to manually wrap (or maybe automatically if it's easier) all the necessary OpenCV functionailty.

The wrapper for cv::Mat should not be a "black box", i.e. cv::Mat pointer that you cannot process, just pass to OpenCV function. Instead, it should be a good wrapper, like Python wrapper to numpy array. Since Julia has native array type, it makes sense to use it.

Please, submit the results of this pilot project by April 13th. Even better if you can do it by March 31st, but quality is the most important.

The result of this project will be the most important part of the application.

Regards,
Vadim

archit rungta

Mar 15, 2020, 3:07:24 PM3/15/20
to opencv-gsoc-2020
Hi Vadim,

Will you be willing to co-mentor this project with Sayan, or at-least advice when I'm stuck? The GSoC page on OpenCV wiki doesn't mention you which is why I'm asking. Nevertheless, I have written a draft proposal and mentioned your name in the mentors list. This proposal can be viewed at https://docs.google.com/document/d/16rHmzKrueC9ivA8e_td-rRLQRCW4cXwvP9aW7Aha9Zw/edit?usp=sharing. I would really appreciate your and Sayan's feedback on this first draft.

In addition to this, my work-in-progress pilot project is at https://github.com/archit120/JuliaOpenCVBindingTest/ where I have a good-ish working cv::Mat wrapper and cv::SimpleBlobDetector implemented. Thank you for giving the pilot project, I'll immediately get to work on it so that I can receive feedback and improve.

Thanks again,
Archit

Vadim Pisarevsky

Mar 15, 2020, 3:56:34 PM3/15/20
to opencv-gsoc-2020
Hello Archit,

I'm not sure I'll have enough time to co-mentor all the projects I wish to :)
I will definitely take part in evaluation of your application and the results of the pilot project. But if it goes well, I think, my participation won't be necessary

Regards,
Vadim

Sayan Sinha

Mar 16, 2020, 5:35:51 AM3/16/20
to opencv-gsoc-2020
Dear Vadim, thanks a lot for the directions.

Archit, your proposal looks good. Nevertheless, it would be great if you could please provide me with comment access to your proposal. I would like to suggest some changes.

Thanks!
Sayan.

Archit Rungta

Mar 16, 2020, 9:02:25 AM3/16/20
to Sayan Sinha, opencv-gsoc-2020

archit rungta

Mar 30, 2020, 2:38:34 PM3/30/20
to opencv-gsoc-2020
Hello Vadim,

I have completed the pilot project at https://github.com/archit120/JuliaOpenCVBindingTest/ I would really appreciate any feedback you have for me.

Thanks,
Archit

Vadim Pisarevsky

Mar 31, 2020, 1:01:09 PM3/31/20
to opencv-gsoc-2020
Hello Archit,

We will be reviewing proposals this and the next week. If you have not submitted your application via https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com, please, do it asap

Regards,
Vadim

mohammed faizan mohiuddin

Mar 31, 2020, 1:04:34 PM3/31/20
to opencv-gsoc-2020
Greetings Vadim,
I posted my idea and made a proposal submission throught the link provided after days of anticipation. I hope i get a positive response from you.