OCW scalability issues?

nvd_ai

Jan 27, 2014, 12:46:52 AM1/27/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
What's the status of OCW's scalability? I am running a OCW server on Heroku. I have two main concerns:

1- What is a safe largest number of participants in a session that OCW can handle successfully without failing?

2- What happens when a heroku app is scaled up/down, e.g., number of running dynos increase/decreased? can this effect the current running OCW sessions and possibly disconnect the clients?

Are there some known issues regarding these questions?

nvd_ai

Jan 31, 2014, 1:12:07 AM1/31/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
So far, I have found out that heroku does not support sticky sessions. Therefore, if OCW server uses in-memory sessions, this will be a problem for any number of dynos more than one, as Heroku load balancer randomly distributes the inbound requests among different dynos! This basically means scaling will not be possible on heroku.

I am running OCW's Java server on Heroku but I am not much of a Java Developer so I can't read OCW's Java code to see whether it requires sticky session or not to run correctly. Can you clarify this?