incorporating an existing webapp

Michał Szczerbak

Aug 7, 2013, 9:58:34 AM8/7/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
hello, I al new to the CoWeb technology and I have a couple of initial questions.
I am in particular interested in a way to reuse an existing webapp (by either having access to the source code or using a provided API) and making it cooperative. what would be the effort of making such an adaptation (what number of lines of code is necessary to cover the synchronization in mean)? are there any tips for that?
thanks for now.
michal.

Michał Szczerbak

Aug 30, 2013, 10:03:40 AM8/30/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
hello again,
is there no support from the CoWeb project group? a quick and simple answer would really make things going, you know.

Peter Parente

Aug 30, 2013, 8:48:44 PM8/30/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michal,

The level of effort required in making an existing application cooperative depends on how much of the application state is available via its API or how well encapsulated it is in the source code. If the API / source allows you listen to all state changes that need to be shared among meeting participants as well as update the state upon receiving an event form a remote participant, then it is amenable to cooperation. See the sections on operational transformation and properly using the sync API in the doc (http://opencoweb.org/ocwdocs/index.html).

I do not personally know the mean LOC for a coweb conversion. You might estimate for yourself by:

- Estimating the complexity of the cowebx example apps and widgets (https://github.com/opencoweb/cowebx)

I hope this helps.

Pete

Michał Szczerbak

Sep 5, 2013, 3:57:09 AM9/5/13
to open...@googlegroups.com, par...@gmail.com
thank you Pete! I dod take a look at the tutorial examples and this post was to confirm what I made of it before I invest more time into using CoWeb. you did help me.
michal.