World Series Of Hack

Nick Fitzgerald

Jul 21, 2011, 12:47:01 AM7/21/11
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello fellow Cowebians!

Long time no see! I've been very busy this summer interning at Mozilla, but they have finally let me out of my cage and I will be competing in the World Series Of Hack[0]. I am planning on implementing a collaborative webapp for making slides and presentations using coweb. If you are at all interested in following along, the code will be here[1].

Wish me luck!

_Nick_

[0]: https://github.com/mozilla/wsoh
[1]: https://github.com/fitzgen/wsoh

Peter Parente

Jul 23, 2011, 8:22:01 PM7/23/11
to open...@googlegroups.com
Nice. Watching your progress on GitHub.

Peter Parente

Jul 23, 2011, 8:24:06 PM7/23/11
to open...@googlegroups.com
Also, watch out for coweb 0.5. There's a bug that kills the OT when the first event sent is one that goes through the engine. We missed it because most of our demos send a null type event initially. You might want to pull the interim 0.6 build from master for your work.

Nick Fitzgerald

Jul 24, 2011, 2:07:35 AM7/24/11
to open...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the heads up, even though I missed it. I had turned off all email and was "wired in", as they would say in The Social Network :)

Writing code isn't very hard when you have had no sleep, but man is debugging difficult. Eventually I got to a point where I was too tired to debug and had to literally write new code to hack around bugs that I didn't have the brain power to debug. It was a very interesting experience, and I think I produced some of the worst code I have ever written :)

I won't know the results till next week, but I don't think I will win. There were a lot of really cool (and surprisingly polished) projects presented. I also kind of screwed up my presentation because we were only given 2 minutes to present and I was nervous and rushed in front of the crowd and my resolution got all messed up when I connected to the projector. Oh well...

I was very happy with how easy it was to add in the collaboration, though. Once again, I was surprised by how simple using coweb is and how it can map to so many different applications. Great job, everyone!

Take it easy,

_Nick_

Vinomaster

Jul 26, 2011, 5:32:25 PM7/26/11
to open...@googlegroups.com
Nick:
Do you have your work hosted somewhere?
Would you be interested in contributing it back to coweb as a sample app?
With your permission I would like to mention it here: https://github.com/opencoweb/coweb/wiki/Technology-Adoption-List

Nick Fitzgerald

Jul 26, 2011, 11:48:37 PM7/26/11
to open...@googlegroups.com
All the code is here: https://github.com/fitzgen/wsoh

You can mention it wherever you'd like and if you need me to license it a certain way, I can do that, too. The thing is though, as I mentioned before, it is really crappy code that I threw together in one night while I could barely think because I was so tired :)

There is no hosted version. Its not very polished. You can add slides, but can't reorder or delete them.

Looks like the results will be announced tomorrow, keep your fingers crossed for me!

_Nick_