Geocoding support for turbot

Tom Curtis

Feb 27, 2015, 3:00:16 PM2/27/15
to opencorporat...@googlegroups.com
Hello

Please can I request support for a geocoding library to be added to turbot?

I am working on a bot for Swedish financial licences. One of the required fields for a financial licence is the company's jurisdiction. The source data includes addresses but not countries.

I think the easiest way to deal with this is to add an existing, mature geocoding library. These use online services like Google Maps to identify the geographic location which the address refers to - including which country it's in.

I'm not sure which implementation is best, but example libraries include:
- geopy (https://github.com/geopy/geopy)
- rubygeocoder (http://www.rubygeocoder.com)

Seb Bacon

Mar 2, 2015, 6:50:28 AM3/2/15
to Tom Curtis, opencorporat...@googlegroups.com
I would be in favour of adding something like this, for sure. The question is - what?

In addition to a geocoder library, there is also the possibility of us hosting a geocoding API service.

Anyone got any experience of either of these libraries (or any others)?  Opinions on making them available as libraries or an API?

Thanks!

Seb

OpenCorporates :: The Open Database of the Corporate World http://opencorporates.com
Blog: http://blog.opencorporates.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/OpenCorporates

OpenCorporates is published by Chrinon Ltd, a company dedicated to improving and publishing public data under an open licence that allows and encourages reuse, including commercially. Registered in England, number 07444723.

Knut Hühne

Mar 2, 2015, 11:07:23 AM3/2/15
to opencorporat...@googlegroups.com, t...@dinosaursandmoustaches.com
Using geocoder.py seems to be a good idea since it supports the OSM-Nominatim project which I have successfully used for geocoding on multiple occasions.
If you tell nominatim that you want address details (which the library supports) it will also provide information about the country that a given address is in.
I found that at least for Germany the service works best when I did not provide a zip-code but I guess you would have to try for your own to see how it works.

I really think that using Nominatim with the library would be a good idea because it is very little effort, has (very) good data for most parts of the world and supports the openstreetmap idea.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim
[2] https://github.com/agabel/python-nominatim/blob/master/nominatim/geocoder.py

Knut Hühne

Mar 2, 2015, 11:18:33 AM3/2/15
to Knut Hühne, opencorporat...@googlegroups.com

Oops, I added two links without explanation. The first one just gives some more information on nominatim. The second one is a very simple script that I have used before to query it. It does not support features like setting output language or asking for address details though. So geocode.py seems to be superior for use cases that go further then just a simple request.