Open-Source Financial Risk Models

hwang...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2014, 10:07:53 AM12/17/14
to opencorporat...@googlegroups.com
Hello.  I was referred to this community by a friend.

I am a policy advisor at the U.S. Department of the Treasury and I work on financial regulatory issues.  Last year I wrote a proposal for an 'Open-Source Financial Risk Model' to suggest a path toward the democratization of how financial risk is information is calculated, used and distributed throughout the financial industry, and more importantly, the public at large. Today, there isn't a vehicle for robust, transparent, technologically savvy transmission of critical financial risk information to many people who need it: those who put their savings at risk in order to obtain a return that allows a stable financial future resulting from a lifetime of labor.

This links to the 'Open-Source Financial Risk Paper': http://www.systemicrisk.ac.uk/sites/default/files/downloads/publications/dp-9.pdf

There are a couple of things I am interested in:

1. A discussion about how some of the issues raised in the paper could be solved through open-source platforms and technologies to increase engagement worldwide for pressing issues in global financial risk.  In essence, how should a project of this nature proceed? (PLANNING)

2. Implementation along a thoughtful path. (ACTION)

I am elated to find this community of smart people who want to build things to make the world better. The financial crisis showed that there are problems of enormous scale and tremendous opportunities for solutions to change the world. I look forward to watching your efforts produce consequential changes that provide the foundation for finance to work better for the benefit of all.

hwang...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2014, 9:33:58 AM12/19/14
to opencorporat...@googlegroups.com
I was hoping to start a conversation with some of the people who run this initiative.  Would you reach out to me at hwangj02879 -at- gmail to set up a time to discuss?  Many thanks in advance.  -Jong

Seb Bacon

Dec 19, 2014, 9:55:32 AM12/19/14
to hwang...@gmail.com, opencorporat...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I think this sounds like a really interesting initiative, and I'm looking forward to reading it. Personally I'm not going to get a chance until the new year, I think, given holidays etc.  Please feel free to reach out again in 2015 if you've not heard back from me!

Thanks

Seb

On 19 December 2014 at 14:33, <hwang...@gmail.com> wrote:
I was hoping to start a conversation with some of the people who run this initiative.  Would you reach out to me at hwangj02879 -at- gmail to set up a time to discuss?  Many thanks in advance.  -Jong

skype: seb.bacon
mobile: 07790 939224
land: 01531 671074

Jong Ho Hwang

Dec 20, 2014, 2:14:04 PM12/20/14
to seb....@gmail.com, opencorporat...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Seb.  Happy holidays.  I will reach out in the new year.

Jong