Slug Field on Event Form

Matthew Woodward

Oct 5, 2010, 11:43:12 AM10/5/10
to openconfe...@googlegroups.com
My curiosity is getting the better of me so I have to ask--on the event form, there's the "Slug" field and while I see where that goes in the UI, I was wondering: is "slug" an event planning term of some sort?

Or to put it another way, if someone asks me what "slug" is, do I say "that's the text that shows up in the drop-down on the top menu bar," or is there a more precise way to explain what specifically that term means?

Thanks.

--
Matthew Woodward
ma...@mattwoodward.com

Please do not send me proprietary file formats such as Word, PowerPoint, etc. as attachments.

Sam Goldstein

Oct 5, 2010, 11:47:30 AM10/5/10
to openconfe...@googlegroups.com
I think a slug is typically a bit of normalized (e.g. downcased, dasherized) text generated from a page's (e.g. blog post) title, and used in the url.

example:

~s

Igal Koshevoy

Oct 5, 2010, 12:08:56 PM10/5/10
to openconfe...@googlegroups.com
Matthew,

The event "slug" is a string that uniquely identifies a specific event
in URLs. E.g., the slug is the "2010" in
http://opensourcebridge.org/events/2010/sessions and the "9" in
http://proposals.igniteportland.com/events/9/proposals

-igal

Matt Woodward

Oct 17, 2010, 1:19:40 PM10/17/10
to openconferenceware
On Oct 5, 9:08 am, Igal Koshevoy <i...@pragmaticraft.com> wrote:
> Matthew,
>
> The event "slug" is a string that uniquely identifies a specific event
> in URLs. E.g., the slug is the "2010" inhttp://opensourcebridge.org/events/2010/sessionsand the "9" inhttp://proposals.igniteportland.com/events/9/proposals

Perfect--thanks Igal and Sam!