ANNOUNCE: Link-Grammar version 5.12.0 is available!

Linas Vepstas

Nov 26, 2022, 1:12:58 AM11/26/22
to link-grammar, opencog, kaam...@gmail.com, Anton Kolonin
Link-Grammar version 5.12.0 is now available!

This includes a fix for a multi-threading race leading to a crash.  It is quite rare: I would observe it only after about 24 hours when running six threads in parallel. If you are a casual user, you probably will never see this. But still, a crash is a crash, and there was some memory corruption to go with it. It's now fixed. (My longest runs are over a week, with no issues)

The most "fun" thing in this release is improved and extended integration with the AtomSpace. It can now work with "live" dictionaries in the AtomSpace, as they are being learned. During early stages, it does a very simplistic parse, more-or-less the MST parse, and then gradually gets more sophisticated as more grammar is learned. I like the results. Experiments and development is ongoing; there will be more changes to make everything more flexible and more network-transparent. (FWIW it can already work with local dictionaries, on the localhost, or remote dictionaries, via the cogserver. It's just using generic StorageNodes to do this.)

It's not an LLM (yet) but the general algo does have some transformer-like aspects to it, and the grammars are symbolic. My bottleneck right now is I don't have enough hours in the day to get the "obvious stuff" done.

The next planned major step is to do multi-sentence, paragraph-level correlations, thus hopefully finding topics, entities, the properties of entities, and maybe reference resolution.  Sketched but not really started is integration with audio/video. Did you rocca guys ever develop nice atomspace API's into minecraft? Anyone care to extract those into a stand-alone project?

-- linas

Standard boilerplate:

Main project website:

WHAT IS LINK GRAMMAR?
The Link Grammar Parser is a syntactic parser of English (and other
languages as well), based on Link Grammar, an original theory of English
syntax. Given a sentence, the system assigns to it a syntactic structure,
which consists of a set of labeled links connecting pairs of words.

See the Wikipedia page for more info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_grammar