Web-Scale Semantic Parsing

1 view

Sam Pritchard

Feb 22, 2010, 5:39:28 AM2/22/10
to OpenCog Summer of Code Announcements & Discussion List
Hi,

I am a CS student from the UK looking for a summer project as part of
my degree.

The above title from the Ideas page interests me greatly: would there
be any scope for
a project in this area - bearing in mind that I don't have any
experience in this area.

Thanks,

Sam
(University of Bristol)

Joel Pitt

Feb 22, 2010, 5:29:46 PM2/22/10
to openc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sam,

There certainly is scope for such a project.

Are you investigating the idea for your own summer project, or as part
of the Google Summer of Code. The GSoC isn't confirmed for OpenCog yet
(keeping my fingers cross that they'll have us another year). But
either way, welcome!

OpenCog as a framework is quite large, but there are usually a few of
us in the IRC room (#opencog on freenode) that can help out.

Core concepts to understand are the AtomSpace and CogServer. Then for
semantic parsing you'll want to investigate RelEx (an affiliated
project) and it's ability to export to OpenCog's Scheme format.

Cheers,

Joel Pitt, PhD | http://ferrouswheel.me
OpenCog Developer | http://opencog.org
Board member, Humanity+ | http://humanityplus.org
+64 21 101 7308

Joel Pitt

Feb 22, 2010, 5:30:54 PM2/22/10
to openc...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I just saw that you sent this to the summer of code list, so
obviously you're interested in GSoC!

For more general discussions I'd move to ope...@googlegroups.com -
since there are only a few of us on this list.

Joel Pitt, PhD | http://ferrouswheel.me
OpenCog Developer | http://opencog.org
Board member, Humanity+ | http://humanityplus.org
+64 21 101 7308

Sam Pritchard

Feb 24, 2010, 6:26:17 AM2/24/10
to OpenCog Summer of Code Announcements & Discussion List
Hi Joel,

Thanks for the quick response.

Having done a little further reading I found that the project has
previously been implemented:
http://www.opencog.org/wiki/RelEx_Web_Crawler

Sam

On Feb 22, 10:30 pm, Joel Pitt <joel.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah, I just saw that you sent this to the summer of code list, so
> obviously you're interested in GSoC!
>
> For more general discussions I'd move to ope...@googlegroups.com -
> since there are only a few of us on this list.
>
> Joel Pitt, PhD |http://ferrouswheel.me
> OpenCog Developer |http://opencog.org
> Board member, Humanity+ |http://humanityplus.org
> +64 21 101 7308
>

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Joel Pitt <joel.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Sam,
>
> > There certainly is scope for such a project.
>
> > Are you investigating the idea for your own summer project, or as part
> > of the Google Summer of Code. The GSoC isn't confirmed for OpenCog yet
> > (keeping my fingers cross that they'll have us another year). But
> > either way, welcome!
>
> > OpenCog as a framework is quite large, but there are usually a few of
> > us in the IRC room (#opencog on freenode) that can help out.
>
> > Core concepts to understand are the AtomSpace and CogServer. Then for
> > semantic parsing you'll want to investigate RelEx (an affiliated
> > project) and it's ability to export to OpenCog's Scheme format.
>
> > Cheers,
>
> > Joel Pitt, PhD |http://ferrouswheel.me
> > OpenCog Developer |http://opencog.org
> > Board member, Humanity+ |http://humanityplus.org
> > +64 21 101 7308

Joel Pitt

Feb 25, 2010, 5:03:10 PM2/25/10
to openc...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:26 AM, Sam Pritchard <samjpr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Joel,
>
> Thanks for the quick response.
>
> Having done a little further reading I found that the project has
> previously been implemented:
> http://www.opencog.org/wiki/RelEx_Web_Crawler

Ah, right.

While that was an interesting project (I wasn't directly involved with
that one, so didn't remember it immediately), they'd certainly be
scope to build upon that.

In particular I note that Rich used HypergraphDB as the storage
mechanism. It'd be nice to hook it up to actually use OpenCog's
AtomSpace - which may be easier now that it's easy to add atoms using
the REST interface I've implemented.

An actual project would have to add more than just that, but it could
certainly be part of the plan...

Joel Pitt

Feb 25, 2010, 5:04:26 PM2/25/10
to openc...@googlegroups.com, OpenCog Developers
Also, feel free to use the opencog-developers list (CC'ed) which has a
higher readership and so you may get suggestions from others too ;-)