step 0 is getting a sponsor and various reasons

Richard Green

Sep 6, 2019, 12:36:55 PM9/6/19
to openc...@googlegroups.com
At the risk of seeming naive ...
[1] What is the minimum (necessary/sufficient) a sponsor might do?
[2] Various reasons for reviving/updating OpenCobalt - perhaps a short list.

IMO: Cobalt was, and conceptually still is, ahead of its time.

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 5:21 AM <openc...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Eric Gillespie <brick...@gmail.com>: Sep 01 10:42PM +1200

Hi. I used to chair the Open Cobalt meetings on Skype. At least at the
moment, I haven't seen any significant movement on OpenCobalt since I
dropped out in early 2011 due to a little earthquake we had, and the weekly
Skype meetings haven't happened since then. After that point, it was
obvious to me that the principal developers had moved onto other projects
that would help keep a roof over their heads. I'm aware there are still
original files available now from opencobalt.net (not org), but again,
these haven't seen significant movement since then. I'm currently working
with another Smalltalk altogether, though not on 3D spaces. I do rather
feel a bit like a lone soul waving a small LED torch in the bottom of the
Vertical Assembly Building at night.

Sorry to seem the bearer of such bleak news. Also, I haven't seen much
activity in the virtual reality sphere aside from game development on
various new (since then) head-mounted display devices. I don't think this
was limited to Squeak, or even Smalltalk at large.

Regarding the contact information, I'll modify certain pages to let people
know there's no longer any meetings. I'm not sure what else I can do aside
from that as I lack the skills that both Matthew and John had, so I'm not a
good candidate to maintain the project; I suspect as the good Bones would
say, "She's dead, Jim".

If any others are willing to correct me on this issue, let me know.

Regards, BrickViking (a.k.a. DrSmokey)

On Sun, 1 Sep 2019 at 13:17, Richard Kenneth Eng <horrido...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Aik-Siong Koh <as...@askoh.com>: Sep 01 01:44PM -0600

Hi:

I am sure the project can be revived if there is a good use case to implement.

Are there any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Aik-Siong Koh

Eric Gillespie wrote:

[...]

This project seems dead. The main website has all kinds of broken links. The code repository is no longer accessible.

Has virtual reality lost its shine, or this is just a Smalltalk/Squeak issue?

opencobalt+...@googlegroups.com

For more options, visit this group at

http://groups.google.com/group/opencobalt?hl=en

---

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Open Cobalt" group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencobalt/3d8a39e7-3ec5-4cf8-90e6-ac233cfa37e7%40googlegroups.com.

opencobalt+...@googlegroups.com

For more options, visit this group at

http://groups.google.com/group/opencobalt?hl=en

---

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Open Cobalt" group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencobalt/CAHWye86WAg3mMm5nLPqk%2B2b_LuDSKRx%3DxE2gCmO44xT_UgwaDA%40mail.gmail.com.
John Dougan <jdo...@acm.org>: Sep 01 02:39PM -0700

I was unable to work at all for a while, and when I could again I updated
some parts (fixed OBJ importer and redid some of the rendering so it can
smooth shade). But without any interest from outside I switched to other
things. Duke is no longer involved, so no resources they hosted (mantis,
monticello server, etc.) are available online. But before the shutdown
they dumped a set of archives on me which should have most of it if not
everything.
If anyone wants to carry it forward I can get those to you.

There are a number of technical issues in the code base, exactly which I
don't recall offhand. I'd have to get my notes. I do have ideas on where it
could be taken, and have done a lot of thinking on the problems with
VR/VW/Cyberspace/etc. in general (this is like the 4rd or 5th turn of the
hype cycle wheel) and what the future will look like.

If anyone wants to talk about it, I'm up for it.

Cheers,
-- John

On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 6:17 PM Richard Kenneth Eng <

--
John Dougan
jdo...@acm.org

John:

Sure I would like to hear of possibilities for opencobalt.

Thanks
Aik-Siong Koh

Tom <tom...@meltel.net>: Sep 01 06:46PM -0500

Hello:  I've long fantasized that I was a member of a citizen's group
that presented a VR application to our local city hall.  Installed, it
would enable residents to visit city hall, participate in activities
ranging from complaints to the mayor or "attending" city council
meetings.  "Popping in" to speak with the city clerk seems like a good
way to keep local officials on their toes.  Such an application might
even be economically sustainable for consultants adding value to a basic
application.

Tom Poe, Eden Valley, MN

On 9/1/19 6:24 PM, Aik-Siong Koh wrote:

--
4 school shootings in U.S. in one month: 4 school shootings in Germany in 100 years: Laws Matter
Alan Grimes <alon...@verizon.net>: Sep 01 10:42PM -0400

Yeah, much sadness here. I have no idea why Cobalt did not become
mainline Squeak and everything else become legacy...

I have a number of various reasons to want to get this running again,
maybe even get an importer working for popular game asset sets.

Anyway, I would propose to rebase the project on whatever the current
squeak version is and get everything updated, possibly moving to Vulkan
and get everything working and modern so that ppl can jump in.

Lots of work... So step 0 is getting a sponsor of some kind.

--
Clowns feed off of funny money;
Funny money comes from the FED

Powers are not rights.

Apollo Sande

Sep 6, 2019, 1:08:21 PM9/6/19
to openc...@googlegroups.com

I too was a big fan of Open Cobalt.

How about we find a way to use blockchain token issuance to fund it's continued development e.g. by building a massive VR university...

Kind regards,

Apollo Sande.

Ho-Sheng Hsiao

Sep 7, 2019, 1:38:15 AM9/7/19
to openc...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 09:36 Richard Green <richardale...@gmail.com> wrote:
IMO: Cobalt was, and conceptually still is, ahead of its time.

I think so too. I would have thought the introduction of Oculus Rift would have revitalized the project.

-Hosh