Noob question: How to program OpenChronos?

miharix

May 27, 2013, 4:34:56 PM5/27/13
to openc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm sorry to ask this noob question, but I cant find a list what exactly do I need to compile & customize
 the OpenChronos?

I'm a Windows geek/programmer(C#) and have some small knowledge of programming PIC and AVR but only under Windows.
 If I understand correctly is OpenChronos writen&compiled under Linux. So please, could some one, just point me
 to what packages/software do I need to unlock the OpenChronos full potential?

Thanks!

Gustavo Laureano

Jun 5, 2013, 1:54:17 AM6/5/13
to openc...@googlegroups.com
Man i am from windows too, the crosscompiling for openchronos is totally based on Linux, but you can try to do this under windows with Cygwin..
i've found a tutorial from 2011, i haven't tryed it yet, but maybe you can:

maybe its outdated, but its a start..

if you get something, let me know please!

Angelo Arrifano

Jun 5, 2013, 6:01:30 AM6/5/13
to openchronos
Guys,

The cross compilation toolchain is not based on Linux. It is based on
GNU tools (gcc, libc and Automake) and python. Those can run in Linux
/ OSX / *BSD and even on Windows using CygWin.

Though, I really think it is just plain easier to install a
distribution of Linux in a VM and go from there, instead of
lobotomizing yourselves while trying to work in a half-assed system
like Windows.

- Angelo

miharix

Jun 5, 2013, 6:44:30 AM6/5/13
to openc...@googlegroups.com
Angelo I agree that setting up a VM or dual boot is simple,
 but what exactly do I need to install on Linux to get developing?
Gcc,libc,  Automake,Python,

Anything else? drivers?

If I remember correctly are those the basic tools and its programed in an simple text editor(nano?) and compiled in console.
Is there some recommended advance programming GUI like is Visual Studio for Windows ?

Thanks for helping!

miharix

Jun 17, 2013, 3:41:34 PM6/17/13
to openc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'll set up VM, and installed Ubuntu(ubuntu-13.04-desktop-amd64)
Then I executed this commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install automake
sudo apt-get install gcc-msp430
sudo apt-get install git
git clone https://github.com/poelzi/OpenChronos.git
sudo cp OpenChronos/gcc/intrinsics.h /usr/lib/gcc/msp430/4.6.3/include/intrinsics.h
cd OpenChronos
make clean main

But I'll get bunch of errors saying "unknown type name 'uint8_t' "

Where did I make the fatal mistake ?
I'm assuming that I dint copy the  intrinsics.h to the correct location.
 If so, how can I find where the [msp340-gcc-path] is ?

And another question, after the build is done, can I upload it to the watch using Linux or I need to use Windows ?

Thanks for all your help!

Aljaž Srebrnič

Jun 17, 2013, 4:09:32 PM6/17/13
to openc...@googlegroups.com
On 17/giu/2013, at 21:41, miharix <mih...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'll set up VM, and installed Ubuntu(ubuntu-13.04-desktop-amd64)
Then I executed this commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install automake
sudo apt-get install gcc-msp430
sudo apt-get install git
git clone https://github.com/poelzi/OpenChronos.git
sudo cp OpenChronos/gcc/intrinsics.h /usr/lib/gcc/msp430/4.6.3/include/intrinsics.h
cd OpenChronos
make clean main

But I'll get bunch of errors saying "unknown type name 'uint8_t' "

Where did I make the fatal mistake ?

well, uint8_t is defined in stdint.h, but I don't remember if it's included with the intrinsics.

I'm assuming that I dint copy the  intrinsics.h to the correct location.
 If so, how can I find where the [msp340-gcc-path] is ?

I'm pretty sure you can query apt or dpkg to get all the installed files. If memory serves me well, it should be something along the lines of
$ apt-cache contents gcc-msp430

or something like that.

And another question, after the build is done, can I upload it to the watch using Linux or I need to use Windows ?

No, you can upload the firmware using linux. There is a TCL GUI available from TI.

Thanks for all your help!

Prosim in lep pozdrav iz Gorice :)

--
Aljaž Srebrnič a.k.a g5pw
My public key:  http://bit.ly/g5pw_pubkey

miharix

Jun 18, 2013, 4:23:26 PM6/18/13
to openc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

its me again, still no luck. :(

I installed packet containing stdint.h (sudo apt-get install gcc-4.6)
I can see its in the folder "/usr/msp430/include", I tayed to also copy it to the  "/usr/lib/gcc/msp430/4.6.3/include/"
no luck. Then I trayed to include it manual into project.h and bsp_board_defs.h but now I get a bunch of "error: READ_SR undeclared (first use in this function)"

There is also a few same warnings that makes me think what if my version of gcc-msp430 (6.4.3)  or gcc(4.7.3)is to new:
Its is saying "warning msp430-libc <signal.h> deprecated, using <legacymsp430.h>"

Lep pozdrav iz žabarlandije :)
miharix

Dragan Knezevic

Jul 4, 2013, 1:36:12 PM7/4/13
to openc...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm having the same issue :(
Did you solve this?

Pozdrav iz Srbije ;)
Dragan

miharix

Jul 4, 2013, 1:44:11 PM7/4/13
to openc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dragan,

Unfortunate I still didn't found the solution. :(

Aljaž Srebrnič

Jul 4, 2013, 1:56:03 PM7/4/13
to openc...@googlegroups.com
Well, to be honest, OpenChronos is quite outdated now. I suggest you check out openchronos-ng, a from maintained by me and miknix. You can find all info here: http://openchronos-ng.sourceforge.net.

Vso srečo,
Aljaž

Dragan Knezevic

Jul 4, 2013, 5:24:40 PM7/4/13
to openc...@googlegroups.com

Ok, thanks!
Checking out openchronos-ng... ;)

Dragan

Message has been deleted

Jens Fischer

Jan 17, 2016, 6:19:42 PM1/17/16
to OpenChronos
It has been a while since. Does somebody have a workaround for the issue? I ran into the same problem, but switching to openchronos-ng is not a good option for me because I would like to use the barometer and this is not build into openchronos-ng...

Thanks, Jens

Aljaž Srebrnič

Jan 21, 2016, 6:06:52 PM1/21/16
to openc...@googlegroups.com, Jens Fischer
Well, we could port the barometer code to openchronos-ng 😊 What are the specific errors? could you put the build log on pastebin or attach it via email?